#1 missholly

missholly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Locationzanesville, ohio

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:43 PM

im planning on building an off the grid sustainable home.

can an electric kiln be run off of solar power?

www.lotsapotsa.com
www.daddyzero.com

#2 Brian Reed

Brian Reed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:49 PM

I cannot even fathom the amount of panels you would need or how to channel that much power.  I would say no, but perhaps someone else has some insight.  I have run a small cabin off solar panels and a pretty nice system and it barely would power everything I had.

I think it is best to fire with wood or gas in an "off the grid" situation.

Brian Reed

Throwing down in Washington State

http://www.reedpottery.com

Northwest Clay Club

#3 Tyler Miller

Tyler Miller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:13 PM

Solar power doesn't have the juice to produce any kind of heat.

A sustainable solution would be maybe to source old fryer oil from restaurants.  Don't expect it to be free, since most restaurants sell their waste oil, but it's a cheap, safe, very high energy fuel source.  Building waste oil burners is also pretty easy and fun if you've got a little welding skill.  This coming from the world's worst welder. :)

#4 Diane Puckett

Diane Puckett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

A solar powered kiln is a wonderful fantasy. If you don't know about it you might enjoy ready about the Energy Exchange http://www.energyxchange.org . There was also a CM article about it, but I don't remember when. This is also interesting http://www.bartelart.com/firing/ecokiln.html .
Diane Puckett
Dry Ridge Pottery

#5 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:54 PM

Solar can barely run a couple of fluorescent light bulbs. Not dissing it, I'm a bit of a tree hugger myself. I use three large compost bins.

I did look into waste vegetable burners-there are a BUNCH on youtube. The Babbington burner looks do able. You still have to power an electric blower unless you use a drip system. Type in WVO burners and that will get you there. There was a guy in Bermuda who fired on wvo. I don't know if he's still around.

Tom.

#6 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:23 PM

I  met a guy a few years ago who claimed he could run his kiln from the power generated by his solar panels. But he had a huge number of panels, like an acre or more of his land covered with them. It's just not practical at this point. Your best bet is to stay on the grid, and have enough solar and wind power to have a negative usage for everything else in your home and studio, which will offset the cost of running the kiln when you sell the excess power back  to the electric company.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#7 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,705 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:41 PM

This is where propane is your friend.

Mark

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#8 schmism

schmism

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationPeoria IL

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:06 PM

The panels themselves likely wont put out enough power continuously to run say a 30amp 220v kiln.  (a smaller one)  BUT.... any off grid solar installation has battery backup for when the sun doesn't shine.  (like at night... or on cloudy/rainy days)

If you have enough battery bank,  you can charge them up over a period of several days,  then discharge them in say 10hrs to fire your kiln.

Such systems use high power (like 8000w) inverter and lots of batteries.

With any off grid system, the inverter will also accept input power from a generator at the same time it draws from the solar pannels and batteries to meet the load requirements.   Having a small 4Kw generator run while you fire will offset how large a battery bank you will need.

Of course you could run the entire thing off a "whole house" generator,  8000w at 30 amp 240v is a fairly normal rateing for "larger" whole house units.

You'll want to go over all these details with the off grid solar person you consult to put together your system.   Based on other systems Ive seen and discussed loading for (like off grid machine shop etc)   Expect a system sized to fire a small kiln (and or decent house) to run $50,000 +

If your the type that defines "building an off the grid sustainable home" as one of these "micro" homes with like 500sqft,  then the above isnt going apply and you need to consider propane instead.

#9 Tarheeler

Tarheeler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:12 PM

im planning on building an off the grid sustainable home.

can an electric kiln be run off of solar power?

Gas, wood, or waste fuel is most likely going to be your best bet.

#10 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:56 PM

In my college textbook, there was a photo, and a small write up, on kiln that used the actual solar rays themselves, to fire the wares...errr ware. Not a very efficient method. Now the solar oven, my lab partner and I made, in seventh grade science, that thing was awesome. It melted smores!!!!!!
"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#11 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:46 PM

In my college textbook, there was a photo, and a small write up, on kiln that used the actual solar rays themselves, to fire the wares...errr ware. Not a very efficient method. Now the solar oven, my lab partner and I made, in seventh grade science, that thing was awesome. It melted smores!!!!!!

This one?:

http://chuck-wright....solar_kiln.html

The kiln was only the size of a coffee can, but it worked. If you only want to fire one  mug at a time, it's awesome!

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#12 joshur

joshur

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:01 PM

Sure you can, if you want to do it directly it will take 10 to 20KW  or more of panels and the inverters that will run that much power, the problem with that other than the size of the system, is the sun is only out for so many hours each day and peak output time is even less. If you can be connected to the grid, it is much easier to do it with a Grid Tie System, that way you can have a much smaller system, and be putting power in to the grid when you do not need it, but can then use the grid power when you need more power to your kiln or other high current appliances, or if the sun is not out.

I have a 7.2 kw  grid tie system that I have been using this way for 12 years, works great. Another way is find a big old generator, if you are going to be totally off grid, a big generator is a great thing to have.

#13 Denice

Denice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • LocationWichita, Kansas

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:19 AM

Does anyone else remember  the solar kiln they at NECCA in Wichita, KS in the early 80's I'm not sure it was really there or if I was just sleep deprived.   Denice

#14 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:48 PM

This one?:
http://chuck-wright....solar_kiln.html

The kiln was only the size of a coffee can, but it worked. If you only want to fire one  mug at a time, it's awesome!

I had to double check my old text book. The one in there was Chip Garner, from the University of California.
"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#15 missholly

missholly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:53 AM

ooh, i kind of like the generator idea. or maybe just connecting to the grid for kiln purposes. the propane might work too.

thanks for all of the ideas. its a really good thing i have a very good friend who is an electrician!

i guess i have some homework to do!!

www.lotsapotsa.com
www.daddyzero.com

#16 missholly

missholly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:56 AM

so, is it possible to retro fit an electric kiln to be used via propane?

www.lotsapotsa.com
www.daddyzero.com

#17 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,705 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:14 AM

Yes but its a whole different animal then-way more uneven temp wise.

Mark

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#18 Biglou13

Biglou13

Advanced beginner pottery, Advanced in other art

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationNorth Florida

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:43 AM

Off the grid kiln = woodfired
It's not solar but off the grid
If you fire with waste wood even better

There are other alt fuel kilns, waste fryer oil, sawdust come to mind, not fossil fueled

These are all reused, sustainable, off the grid. Just not electric.

It's now closed but the mirror/solar farm, in Barstow California came to mind when you first posted.
Caution big brother is watching.
The beige is blinding!!!!!!
The middle of the road is boring

The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.
-Albert Einstein

#19 missholly

missholly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:24 PM

thanks for the info!!

www.lotsapotsa.com
www.daddyzero.com

#20 schmism

schmism

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationPeoria IL

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:58 PM

Simon leach has several videos on how he converted an old electric to ^10 redux propane

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users