#1 Celia UK

Celia UK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationCambridge, England

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:16 PM

Have been using white earthenware to date, but decided to try some smooth, speckled stoneware (Valentines Special Fleck 1150 oC - 1280 oC). If I fire this to within the stated temperature range, could I use a lower firing transparent glaze or MUST I invest in a transparent that has a range that matches that of the clay?

#2 Chilly

Chilly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationLangdon Hills, Essex, UK

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:55 PM

I know what the experts will say:  test, test, test.

I have some Mayco cone 06 transparent (105) that I've used on non-functional items, and it seems OK..............

----------------------------------------------------------

Ann

http://www.readypeda...uk/pottery.html

#3 bciskepottery

bciskepottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:16 PM

The stoneware firing range (1150C to 1280C/2102F to 2336F) looks to be Cone 5 to Cone 10, well above the firing range for your low-fire clear. At those higher temperatures, I suspect you will over melt the glaze and potentially end up with a glaze pool at the bottom. Try it on a couple test tiles first, but make sure you put those test tile in a shallow bowl or on a cookie to catch any glaze runs. You might also want to do some tests on durability (freezing/boiling water/etc) if it fires okay, to make sure it will be okay for functional use.

#4 Celia UK

Celia UK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationCambridge, England

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:55 AM

I could have guessed the answer really!! I'll definitely test, thanks Bruce for the reminder to place pieces in a bowl or on cookie. One transparent I have has a firing range 1060o - 1100oC and I wondered how critical that 50o difference (lower end of clay range - upper end of glaze) would make.

#5 Chilly

Chilly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationLangdon Hills, Essex, UK

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:53 AM

Celia, if it's a commercial glaze, look it up, Mayco and Duncan both post lists of "what happens to ^06 glaze when fired at ^6".  I printed them out and keep them handy.

----------------------------------------------------------

Ann

http://www.readypeda...uk/pottery.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users