#21 MMB

MMB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationHartwell, GA

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:00 PM

Yes I love this. Its nice to see this thread. Kinda de railed a bit but on a good track. Ive delved in the metal casting world but only in aluminum because of the ease at the moment. Sand casting and lost foam. I have smelted down copper once into ingots but nothing more. I a small forge made out of a propane tank and some Kaowool. Reil Burner design. I have thought about fabricating a extruder/press mold to make crucibles quickly. Basically a sturdy plaster base with a hole in the bottom. Strong side walls and a inner piece to plunge and press the shape while the excess clay and be scraped away and also pushed out the bottom. Figured it would be a good idea in conjunction with a good clay mix that might not be as workable, but still have the good attributes to withstand abuse.

Plan to also build another furnace to get away from aluminum for a bit and expand my horizons in different metals. We have a ton of waste auto oil from doing my whole families oil changes at our shop so I want to utilize a waste oil burner soon as well.

Three of my favorite egg forms.

egg1-1.jpg?w=370&h=

pot-belly.jpg?w=370&h=

vase4o.jpg?w=370&h=

#22 Tyler Miller

Tyler Miller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:45 PM

Those are beautiful!  I totally agree that a press for crucibles would be the best solution for making tough crucibles quickly.  What kind of mix do you think you would use as a body?  A non plastic kaolin and mullite?

How do you find aluminum for shrinkage when casting?  I've steered clear of it in favour of copper alloys because I've mainly stuck to water casting and because I've heard it loves to shrink.

#23 MMB

MMB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationHartwell, GA

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:15 PM

You know to tell you the truth I havent had any issues with shrinkage, but thats primarily because I havent had strict match ups. Although, I will say I learned what a "interference fit" or "friction fit" was after a failed idea. Haha I guess I wasnt thinking, but it did help me find a solution to a issue I was dealing with. I couldnt find a large metal collar, so I made one that clung to the pipe I cast it to.

I was going to go the route of graphite crucible. I stumbled across some back woods guy that made his own and pressed them by mixing, forming rings, and pressing them one by one in a tube using a car jack. Although from what Ive heard raw graphite is not the cheapest. I'm guessing I stick with a good fire clay recipe to start.

Found the link

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users