How Can I Modify Dipping Glazes For Brushing Consistence?

terraforma

I work with Cone 10 dipping glazes, and I would also like to do brushwork with these same glazes. Of course, they are terrible for brushwork straight out of the bucket. Anyone out there have tried-and-true suggestions for additives that will make these glazes flow at least a little better and/or methods to help improve brushing glazes on bisqueware?

I work with Cone 10 dipping glazes, and I would also like to do brushwork with these same glazes. Of course, they are terrible for brushwork straight out of the bucket. Anyone out there have tried-and-true suggestions for additives that will make these glazes flow at least a little better and/or methods to help improve brushing glazes on bisqueware?

Typically bisuqueware is porous and we use water as the "wet" medium in our glazes. The bisque soaks the water out of the glaze and boom, the brush sticks to the pot.

So, you can change the porous surface or you can alter the "wet" medium.

I suppose you could bisque to a higher temp but I have never attacked this problem from that angle. I go the other way with great results.

I use a "wet" medium made form Bentolite, cmc, and water. 6.5g each of the dry ingredients to 1000 ml (or grams) of water.

USE HOT WATER. REALLY HOT.

Mix in the dry ingredients and let them slake then mix again. Use a whisk but don't make foam.

Use this instead of water and brushing will go much smoother.

Try it out.

Ben

Ben,

Just found out that the CMC gum solution from Laguna is only 7% strength CMC in plain water. I'm going to buy some dry CMC online, but do you think there's any value in using the gum solution by factoring in the CMC percentage?

I'd use what you have. My recipe is about 0.7% each for the dry ingredients fyi.

use 100ml of your solution with 900ml water and about 7 grams bentolite.

Add the bentolite to the HOT water and blend thoroughly then pour in the cmc solution.

If you want vary it as you go reserve some of the 900 ml of added water and add it to taste until it brushes like you want it.

WRITE EVERYTHING DOWN. That way you can repeat it next time.

That last bit of advice is a hard lesson to learn. ;-)

Ben

Great! Can't wait to try this out.

And I write everything down obsessively - fortunately, I learned that lesson a long time ago! (just hope you never lose those notes, though - my sketchbook and notebook with four years worth of everything were stolen a few months back. That's a hard one to get over...)

Best regards!

Mickey

hi terraforma,

here's a simple solution - I use small cups or buckets of the class glazes and add water untill the consistency is the same as a mcdonald's milshake - it's thinner than an old fashion one. anyway - just stick your finger into the glasze and if you get a nice thin "glove" = perfect for brush work. I love the cheap natural brisfle brushes from china that I get at Ace Hardware - comes in a # of sizes and holds glaze very well. I also find it's easier to glaze a lot of pieces at once and I almost always us 3 glazes ( light, dark, medium) - for contrast, texture, interest. With the thinned glazes you can have some layering and get some nice melds.

Have a great time,Clayfully Deb

Archived