Digital Portfolio For E-Mail Submission

What format or platform should be used for submitting a digital portfolio of twenty images when no format or platform is specified?  The submission is for a secondary school position.

"Interested candidates are asked to send a cover letter, resume, and digital portfolio of twenty images to:  JohnDoe@Boardingschool.com"

I am debating using a web service such as squarespace or Crevado, or creating a powerpoint to save as a PDF file.  Any advice or other suggestions are appreciated.

Hi Tyler,,,,if no format is specified I would not use PP or a web service like Dropbox or any web site. You don't know whether the recipient is going to bother taking the extra step to view your images.  I suggest .jpg images, approx 4" X 6" at 72dpi which is the resolution of the monitor. Anything larger doesn't look any better and larger files will make downloading more difficult. Label each image with your name and a number. In the body of your email include a key to the images:

Image label:

Sbranfman1

Sbranfman2

Key

Sbranfman1: Vessel, 15"H x 10"D, wheel thrown, altered and carved surface, Raku fired.

Hope this helps.

I had applied to the Creative Sculpting Department at General Motors, and they were looking for pdfs with 4-6 images per page, in landscape format, 72dpi. InDesign is really great for formatting images like this and making them look clean, and compact for e-mailing. I rather liked the format they requested. I certainly agree with Branfman that making the images extremely accessible will benefit you.

I should have mentioned previously that the submission guidelines specifically state that they cannot respond to email or phone inquiries regarding the position or application. I thought that seemed strange as similar opportunities have specifically listed a contact email for other questions. I'm hesitant to send an email with twenty attachments but given the circumstances it may be my best option.

Guest JBaymore

If they haven't specified a format, then you should try to make it as easy as you can for them to deal with your submission... and it is then a "crap shoot" as to if you'll make a good impression or a bad impression with what you choose.  But that will be THEIR FAULT for not specifying submission guidelines.

The lack of accurate communications and the unwillingness to communicate does not speak very well for the organization itself.  Maybe the posting is simply a formality... and the position is already filled from someone within the organization or that they know from elsewhere... and they are going through the "legal motions" (that happens a lot).

Chris' Dropbox option does make it easy for them if they want to see the images anmd if not... they are not they won't be downloading them at all.

best,

............................john

Archived