Paint Brushes

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just did a quick search for 'deer tail' and 'squirrel tail' at ebay.com...not totally surprising that there are multiple listings.  Sure, that increases the cost of the brush, but it looks like the risk of insects/disease is reduced by someone else treating/cleaning the items.

I bought deer tails on-line from a person who sold tails, pelts, antlers, etc. All were treated. You only need a couple to make a good supply of brushes. Prices were rather cheap, too.

When buying, be aware of when the tail or piece of pelt was harvested. There is a difference in hair between seasons, especially winter. In winter, animals hair thickens to protect them from cold. That "belly hair" is not usually good for brushes. You'll need to remove any fuzzy hair with a fine comb, dog/cat tick comb, or similar tool. Make friends with the local riding stable, they can provide you with horse hair (mane and tail) that is good for brushes, as well as horse hair firings.

What about human hair? I have a lovely head of hair that could be made into many brushes   It is a little too curly though.

I Tried making a brush out of my own hair after a hair cut... Didn't work worth a darn. The slightest curl messes things up and the hair is too thick and has not enough taper. Oriental hair has been used a lot but it is straight and still not as good as tail hair from animals. Here in the South West  natural fibers from cactus plants were used. Has anyone tried that?

Archived