Penland School Of Crafts

Hi everyone,

I've posted in this forum before seeking advice and you all gave me some great advice. Thank you! 

So, I have been looking into craft schools around the country and I found Penland. It sounds like a great environment for an emerging potter like myself, but it is also very, very expensive. My question is, have any of you attended? Is it worth the $8,000+? I have reasoned with myself that in the pursuit of passions, there is no price that can equal such an experience, but I am thinking that maybe there is another school out there that will offer the same quality and experience, but for a lower price...

I have found other schools, but they are usually just two weeks, rather than the intensive 8 weeks that Penland offers.

I have tried to find reviews of experiences about the place on the internet, but haven't really been able to find much. What are you opinions on a place like Penland? Are there other places out there in the country with intensive short term (2-6 months) sessions?

Thank you again for your help! This is a wonderful community.

8000 wow. Really??? So yes I worked at Penland, Haystack, Arrowmont and the Appalachian Center for Crafts. All fantastic! And as far as the costs look into those schools. There are many many more options then there were when I was younger. Anderson Ranch is also a great place!  I think it gets down to what technique you are looking at or the person who you may desire to study under. These are concentrated blocks of time and the money is worth it to me if you can swing it. There are also many times opportunities to be a work study student. 8 grand is also around what you may pay as a special student at a university and maybe that could also be another avenue. 

As far as reviews... They are all great and it really depends on what you want to learn. 

I have not done this but have heard of potters who have done the intensive session at Penland ... They seemed to have focused on which potters they would be learning from during that time. Each had the specific pottery experience in mind, not just the school.

Doesn't Penland also offer working positions through the summer workshop cycle? I seem to remember the studio assistants got to take classes in addition to watching the pros at work. This might be cost effective for you and you would get a sense of whether you wanted to do the intensive later.

Hi All,

Yes, Penland's eight week immersion course, called Concentration, is the place for an emerging potter to make great leaps in both technical and aesthetic skill. As far as expense, nearly half of the students there are on scholarship, and there are plenty to apply for, so look seriously into that.  The eight week intensive courses, called Concentrations, are exceptional. You get more than a year's worth of experience in 2 months...you learn so much in such a short time, and take such great leaps in your work, it's remarkable to see.

As you can tell, I'm a big Penland fan...I live in the neighborhood, I make pots, and attribute Penland with helping me tremendously in my work and my career.

I've studied at Penland, was a resident there, and have also taught there, including teaching the Concentration class. Good luck with your search for the appropriate learning situation for you, and please look into the many scholarships that Penland offers! 

You might want to check into colleges as already suggested, I went to college with several students who had attended the Kansas City Art Institute.  They said it was a great school but the college courses were just an good and the money they spent was going towards a degree not just a certificate. Denice

Archived