#1 ashleigh_arts

ashleigh_arts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:55 AM

Hello!

I had a couple of pieces that, freakishly, dried just fine...evenly...even thickness...all around good slab pieces... cracked in the kiln! I fired at the correct temp and somehow this happened. I've read about magic mud...and I was under the impression that it could be used on bisque fired pieces. However, my instructor told me that it couldn't? I wanted to see what everyone thought?

#2 Diane Puckett

Diane Puckett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:58 AM

I have seen bisque repaired with paper clay slip.
Diane Puckett
Dry Ridge Pottery

#3 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 1,911 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:02 PM

For future reference it might help if you could post a picture of the type of cracking you had. We could maybe help you with your next load.

As to repairing cracks, it usually is a better solution to redo the pots. Many times the repair will look good on the bisque, but later in the glaze show up even worse. After 30+ years of teaching, and having to try to fix some of the student problems with cracking, I have found it really isn't a viable solution for my own work. A student having limited experience, and working hard for that one hand built pot is a different story.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#4 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:14 PM

Google, "Spooze" may work.

#5 ashleigh_arts

ashleigh_arts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:39 PM

Thank you guys!! I may just have to redo it then. :/ Bummer. I really liked this sushi platter I made.

#6 ashleigh_arts

ashleigh_arts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:39 PM

I also had two cups of students crack. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users