Photo

Act Of Vandalism . . . Or Is Turnabout Fair Play?

Ai-Weiwei

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 porcelainbyAntoinette

porcelainbyAntoinette

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationSaltillo Mississippi

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:34 PM

Is any of this true or is it all drama, including the original/ painted vases? If so, is 1 million $ enough for them and will even an activist have the heart to destroy the very base on which the Chinese culture was built?

#22 Wyndham

Wyndham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationSeagrove NC

Posted 08 March 2014 - 05:09 PM

So what is the criteria for value, age, the culture it's from,the quality of the craftsmanship. The current Chinese government is most likely more tolerant that the emperors that reigned at the time the vase/vessel/pot was made.

The potter was most likely a slave to the dynasty he lived in.

Is my pot more or less valuable? In the long run, it's just clay and the history we read about is simply some neurons in our brains bouncing like ping pong balls off the inside of our heads.

Value is nothing more than the collective agreement about that object compared to other items in our society.

If all the electric grid went out for 100 yrs, no one would look at art as valuable as water, shelter, protection from everything that could harm us.

So why do we set a high value on something we can't use when more mundane things are less valued, like the...........

get tossed out.

If by any act of creation/destruction really changed society that might be one thing but these are people full of themselves and want the parade to follow them.

What's to say that they didn't plan it together, AKA "Strangers on a Train"

Wyndham

#23 BeckyH

BeckyH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:45 PM

Gack. People have thought art important for as long as they have been people. Remember the cave paintings?
For some things the rarity and replaceability determine part of the value. Can we get another Han vase? Not as easily as we could get one from you! In 1,000 years, one of your pots could be just as valuable as the one broken by Ai.

#24 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,980 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:05 PM

I have to wonder if anyone here was familiar with Ai Weiwei prior to this.
Marcia

#25 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:55 AM

What is this really about?

the viewer?

the vandal/artist?

Ai Weiwei ?

Do we need to know the artist to appreciate/react to the work?

#26 BeckyH

BeckyH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:23 AM

I have to wonder if anyone here was familiar with Ai Weiwei prior to this.
Marcia

Absolutely. I've known his work and situation for years.

#27 Rebekah Krieger

Rebekah Krieger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:15 PM

I will be the first to admit, I do not know any modern day artists.  (well, of course except for everyone here ;) )  But I have to say that i find the destruction of the ancient pots was done by both wei and the protester.  I also think it is likely a person working for him to raise awareness of his work. (or an attention wh*re) 

Learning On my Kick wheel with my vintage Paragon (from the late 1960's)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users