I came across this idea from the Digitalfire site, using the BatMate to hold down plaster batts. It’s sold to be used sandwiched between the wheelhead with pins and a batt to stop wobbling from loose pins or warped batts.
Since I never use batt pins with my homemade batts I have always attached the batts to the wheelhead with a pancake (or usually a ring) of clay. I found that the BatMate works really well at holding down plaster batts and the smaller sizes of wood batts, no pins, no pancakes necessary. I have used it with plaster batts up to 16” diameter with no movement of the batt. When trying it out with wood batts I’m finding that I can only use it with batts up to 8”. Any bigger than that and I push them off center. I don’t have any masonite batts so I’m not sure if it would work with those.
I dip the BatMate in water, squeeze it out so it’s fairly dry and put it on the wheelhead. If I don’t use too much water to throw with then I can throw for a couple hours before squeezing it out. If the BatMate gets too wet it’s harder to remove the batts. It seems like a fairly durable material that it’s made from, I had to pull up on a few times to remove the batts and there is no stretching or tearing of it.
The lid in the picture is on a 10” plaster batt, 14” wheelhead. (please excuse the mess, cleaning isn’t one of my strong points)