#1 flowerdry

flowerdry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:14 PM

I got this idea from Marks pictures of his very nice, minimally bloated mugs that he tossed in the trash.  I was thinking that mine would have been used as tool or pencil holders, or whatever.  He's been doing this so long he is overflowing no doubt with vessels used to hold just about anything.

I'm just not there yet.  Are you?

Doris Hackworth

"Promoting the joy of handmade pottery"

#2 Bob Coyle

Bob Coyle

GEEZER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:24 PM

...When you make all the usual disastrous mistakes and still continue to make pots.

#3 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:28 PM

I was told a story back in collage in the mid 70's about not selling your seconds as they will sooner or later come back to haunt you.

Of course I was young and knew all the worldly ways I thought and soon after getting my degree was having studio sales twice a year. Now I should add I had no money then and starving artist rules apply when times are tight. What rules you may ask-the rules that apply to get money no matter what.

That included have a seconds area at my spring studio sale and as times improved I stopped that but meanwhile some hideous stuff slipped on out the door for cheap and I was able to feed myself and pay the mortgage and buy a pair of shoes now and again .

Now fast forward 20 years and some good friends I have become close with had us over to dinner with some others friends as well . The salad was served in a huge stoneware bowl that looked familiar somehow. As a potter you know your stuff down deep even if 30-40 years goes by.

Now there was a giant lip split and it was warped like a football shape and the outside had warts the size of walnuts on it. The bowl was passed around a large table with many friends and I said to the host where did that bowl come from and she said she bought it at my studio sale in the late 7o's before she knew me when she moved up here for $3 and isn't it great. We are talking about a butt ugly piece of -----. I offered to replace it and they said no they love it. Now I know what my mentor meant-it comes back to you sooner or later.

I think i will add this post to my bloating as it seems to fit.

I have long ago leaned to cut my losses and make more pots when they have issues.

Mark

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#4 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,845 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:29 PM

Deja vu. I think there was a thread on this 2 or 3 or 5 years ago. Michael Cardew said it takes 7 years before you should be able to throw what you want with control.

Marcia

#5 Chris Campbell

Chris Campbell

clay stained since 1988

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:08 PM

.... when you recycle badly executed pieces before they are fired ....
And
... when you trash or recycle badly finished pieces rather than sell them.

Chris Campbell
Contemporary Fine Colored Porcelain
http://www.ccpottery.com/

https://www.facebook...88317932?ref=hl

TRY ...   FAIL ...  LEARN ...  REPEAT

#6 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,845 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:15 PM

That is true !

Marcia

#7 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 1,995 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:23 PM

When your scrap pile is higher than your boxes of saved pieces.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#8 Chilly

Chilly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationLangdon Hills, Essex, UK

Posted 14 February 2014 - 05:34 AM

When your scrap pile is higher than your boxes of saved pieces.

Sorry Pres, with me that's the other way round.  I know I'm not a "real potter" yet, and my scrap/recycle pile is definately higher than the fire/keep pile.

----------------------------------------------------------

Ann

http://www.readypeda...uk/pottery.html

#9 Mart

Mart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:03 AM

I got this idea from Marks pictures of his very nice, minimally bloated mugs that he tossed in the trash.  I was thinking that mine would have been used as tool or pencil holders, or whatever.  He's been doing this so long he is overflowing no doubt with vessels used to hold just about anything.

I'm just not there yet.  Are you?

And the picture you mentioned is where exactly?

#10 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,572 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:06 AM

Here's the topic Mart:

http://community.cer...ing-looks-like/
"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#11 ChenowethArts

ChenowethArts

Senior Geek & Whimsical Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee - Where at least a few studios make something besides music.

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:21 AM

You know you are a real potter when you can send out an open house announcement for a kiln opening and no one asks if it is at Gryffindor or Slytherin.

Paul Chenoweth
Visit/Like me on Facebook
Connect on Twitter
Mostly Ceramics on Pinterest

#12 Denice

Denice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationWichita, Kansas

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:01 AM

This fall my sister was visiting from California and I always give her some work to take home.  One piece that she wanted was a recently fired teapot, it had layered glazes.  I wasn't happy with the glaze on the handle, it was spotty, I didn't let her have it.  I didn't want my name associated with it, I was still trying to decide whether to toss it or try refiring it.  I wonder now if I was being a perfectionist or just a typical potter, imperfections don't seem to bother the general public as much.    Denice

#13 Biglou13

Biglou13

Advanced beginner pottery, Advanced in other art

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 964 posts
  • LocationNorth Florida

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:23 AM

.... when you recycle badly executed pieces before they are fired ....
And
... when you trash or recycle badly finished pieces rather than sell them.

+1 what Chris said. They end up as gifts, which may bite me back.

And recently I've been stressing (a little) about the qualities/nuance of the lips of my tea bowls/ chawan....
Caution big brother is watching.
The beige is blinding!!!!!!
The middle of the road is boring

The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.
-Albert Einstein

#14 Wyndham

Wyndham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • LocationSeagrove NC

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:25 AM

When you're so disgusted by a glaze test that turned out so totally off that you smash it in the shard pile, THEN.......

six months later while walking to the kiln you see this GREAT shard on the ground. You race back to your notes only to discover that page is missing.

You put that shard on a shelf to remind you to let the glaze live long enough to talk to you.

To err is human but to lose a great glaze is unforgivable.

Wyndham

#15 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 08:45 PM

When you're so disgusted by a glaze test that turned out so totally off that you smash it in the shard pile, THEN.......

six months later while walking to the kiln you see this GREAT shard on the ground. You race back to your notes only to discover that page is missing.

You put that shard on a shelf to remind you to let the glaze live long enough to talk to you.

To err is human but to lose a great glaze is unforgivable.

Wyndham

I forgive you Wyndham!

Just think of the archeologists in your shard pile, continuing to search the area for more of  this treasure and not finding it! :)

ANd the lesson you learned , smash the pot, leave your glaze notebook alone!

I think I'll know when I'm a potter when it comes slipping out of my mouth when someone asks, "What do you do?"

#16 Chantay

Chantay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:11 AM

I think it will be the day I write it down on the occupation line on my tax return.

- chantay

#17 Wyndham

Wyndham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • LocationSeagrove NC

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:54 AM

Forums are an interesting form of communication.

I wanted my post to come off tongue- in- cheeck but reading my own post it came off p.o.'ed,which was not my intent.

Being a potter is a state of mind, whether your in or out of your mind :). Some days I'm in other's, well...

Really, you're a potter that day you sit at the wheel and get that WOW feeling and then WOW everyday after that.

Wyndham

#18 Rebekah Krieger

Rebekah Krieger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:20 AM

Wyndham- I took it as sarcastic yet frustrated at yourself. ;) After reading your post I realized I have a long way to go to be a "potter" as I have not yet made my own glaze recipe. 

Learning On my Kick wheel with my vintage Paragon (from the late 1960's)

#19 Wyndham

Wyndham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • LocationSeagrove NC

Posted 15 February 2014 - 12:18 PM

An artist who is a  painter does not need to weave the canvas or make the paints to be an artist. Same goes for potters and glazing.

Look at the video on the African women potters, not a lot of glazing going on. If I compared my work with these folks, I'm way behind the learning curve.

Wyndham

#20 Dharsi

Dharsi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:45 PM

1.  people order pieces and don't ask you to change anything :)

2. you cull ruthlessly *after* you have put handles on mugs and finished all steps to berry bowls but before bisque firing.  (i recently tossed two berry bowls because the holes didn't come out exactly as i wanted.

3.  you wash the glaze off a piece and redo it because you have learned through trial and error that proper glazing does count and crappy "get by" glazing ruins a great pot.

4. when you can recreate the same shape over and over, even if you don't want to.

5. you set aside a large trash can for fired pieces that don't cut the mustard and smash the pieces in it so that you (and others) aren't tempted to save them 

6. and most importantly to me, you continue to try new things and take risks that can end up in the reclaim pile/trash heap.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users