Orton Cone Calculation Software 2013

docweathers

Thanks Doc :)

EDIT:  Ummm, can't enter values into any boxes.  It is set to accept only C or F,and is password protected.  I used to teach Excel, so don't think I'm missing something. Did you actually use it and were you able to enter values?

my man at Orton got back to me today with apologies for not getting back to me sooner. He is on the road so we won't be able to do more than apologize until next week. There may end up being a problem since he says no one at Orton really understands the software since its development was contracted out.

I will keep you posted on how Orton responds.

......... since he says no one at Orton really understands the software since its development was contracted out......

I think I understand how it should work, but was unable to do anything with it as it was password protected.  Next time I have a sleepless night or a rainy day, I'll have another look at it.....

Looks like a useful document to have.

I have a question about ortho cones. Are they reusable if I never got up to the right cone? I had an 8/9/10 in the kiln but only got to cone 8 so can I put this back in until cone 10 bends or are they one use and then they do not work properly?

That's an interesting question.  We fired the class kiln before xmas for stoneware, and it did not reach temperature.  It's been fired once more since, and the same cones went back in for experimental purposes, with new cones.  Still did not do what I expected, so going to fire it again (before shouting loudly at kiln service co).  The original cones don't seem to have changed at all after their second firing.  I'll put them back in next time and see what happens.  I'm guessing that unless they reach the correct temperature at the correct ramp rate for the final hour of firing, that you could continue to re-use them, but I'm not going to rely on that supposition.

Had a play with that Excel file.  I can't get past the password protection, so can't change anything.  The calculation works within a macro (mini programme) and that is also protected.  It feels like a half-finished file, the macro "buttons" aren't properly defined, the input cells will not allow input of anything except "C" or "F", which is fine for one of the cells, but not the rest.  Copy/paste is such a powerful tool, but nothing beats Quality Control checks.

Without a password - and I've tried all the obvious ones - we're going nowhere with this.  Guess we'll have to wait on Doc's "Orton man".  :(

Guest JBaymore

I ship Orton cones to my friends in Japan. Also bring boxes of them in my suitcases as a gift.  Seger cones there cost about 100 円 (Yen) each also.... about US $1.00.  Even in large bulk orders.  Absurd!

best,

................john

• 2 weeks later...

I was trying to run it on OpenOffice Calc versus Excel  That doesn't fly.

It worked fine in Excel once I lowered the macro security level.

I'm using Excel 2007 running on a Vista laptop.  Changing the macro security level makes no difference to me, I still can't enter any data into the boxes on the Control Sheet, or the heating rate, and the "clear" and "<==Calculate Heating Rate" buttons don't do anything as they don't have macros assigned.

Archived