Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,917 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 15 February 2014 - 01:04 PM

I make mugs in many weights

so if you want to know what to make them from my specs here they are.

3/4#-volumes-8-10oz

1# -12-14oz

1 1/4#-16-18oz

1 1/2# -2-24oz

2#-32-36oz

These volumes do vary  a tad but the weights do not

soup mugs and motion mugs (truckers anti spill) but those weight's are written on my list and I'm away from studio walls now.

With this list you can make many a mug-this week I dropped off boxes of them to my outlets as they are a constant seller.

Not everyone is cut out to make these as they can be tedious-The handles are all extruded as are most of my mug handles-they are very strong that way as well. I like a taper but strength and speed trumps this look for me.

The trick is do them in same size runs and keep up with them.

My salt pots are still all hand pulled but not my weekly production work

I just picked up my other extruder from machine shop today. Its being rebuilt for the 4 or 5th time

Maybe I should shoot some photos while its apart.

Plunger part is hanging in the warm studio with paint drying overnight after a new steel disc was wielded on-its my third push disc-they wear out.

Mark

Did your partner force you back to work? WIth your amount of energy I cannot imagine you moping around!

Inspiring

Babs

I was not moping I was mopping with a wet mop-I'm never mope

My wife never forces me to work its usually just the opposite -she thinks I work way to hard

She asked me over 5 years ago why I am doing so much-it took me about 3 years to realize I could do less and still enjoy life-I just do other things outside of clay

Since I have had such success with clay and am debt free I really do get to pick and choose and I have slowly done less shows down for a steady 12 to 7 now. My other sale outlets are about the same as they always have been

My yearly forced break has slowly gotten longer it always includes the book keeping (seeing account on Monday) paying of Ca sales taxs -pruning and spraying 10-12 fruit trees -digging all blackberries off property-pruning raspberry patch

and all ornamental trees that need any work. These chore are always a constant every year and when that gets done I do other mundane chores-but staying away from the studio is a must during this period.Its a bit of mental health thing and I enjoy the time away.We also spend more time bicycling and taking hikes this time of year when I'm not in studio

Bezine I'll take a photo of them as I'm loading them in bisque kiln this am

Mark

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#22 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:08 PM

Babs

I was not moping I was mopping with a wet mop-I'm never mope

My wife never forces me to work its usually just the opposite -she thinks I work way to hard

She asked me over 5 years ago why I am doing so much-it took me about 3 years to realize I could do less and still enjoy life-I just do other things outside of clay

Since I have had such success with clay and am debt free I really do get to pick and choose and I have slowly done less shows down for a steady 12 to 7 now. My other sale outlets are about the same as they always have been

My yearly forced break has slowly gotten longer it always includes the book keeping (seeing account on Monday) paying of Ca sales taxs -pruning and spraying 10-12 fruit trees -digging all blackberries off property-pruning raspberry patch

and all ornamental trees that need any work. These chore are always a constant every year and when that gets done I do other mundane chores-but staying away from the studio is a must during this period.Its a bit of mental health thing and I enjoy the time away.We also spend more time bicycling and taking hikes this time of year when I'm not in studio

Bezine I'll take a photo of them as I'm loading them in bisque kiln this am

Mark

Mark, your partner is a wise person, my partner has similar obsessive work energy I haven't cracked how to get him to take time off yet. 

#23 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 05:29 PM

TJR asked for a photo with shirt off for some reason-It must really be cabin fever cold up in his parts about now

So this one was taken in 1978-1979 when I was building my 1st car kiln-now long gone with another is same spot.

I'm the one with the trowel and no shirt.

Mark

Attached Files

Mark Cortright

#24 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:55 PM

TJR asked for a photo with shirt off for some reason-It must really be cabin fever cold up in his parts about now

So this one was taken in 1978-1979 when I was building my 1st car kiln-now long gone with another is same spot.

I'm the one with the trowel and no shirt.

Mark

They say when people get really cold they tend to derobe!

No pics please TJR!

Another big dump of snow in Canada?

#25 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:32 PM

Bezine

Heres what a motion mug looks like for me-this was todays bisque load going up.

Mark

Attached Files

Mark Cortright

#26 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:21 PM

Mark, thanks for taking the time to snap that photo.

I remember seeing older, mass produced, plastic mugs of that shape. Is the wide bottom for stability, or does it help keep the liquid from splashing up?
"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#27 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:38 PM

Bezine

Heres what a motion mug looks like for me-this was todays bisque load going up.

Mark

I call this shape my winter mug as the liquid stays hot for longer. I use this as my mug as I tend to wander after making myself a cup and so I return to slightly warmer tea.

Stable and less slop unless your the completely miss the mout type. :)

#28 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:41 PM

They are vary stable-can survive a trip on car roof-I but neoprene rubber bottoms on them -so they are no-skid

Mark

I personally do not use this shape-to hard to clean but nobody makes these anymore around here.

Mark

Mark Cortright

#29 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:42 PM

They are vary stable-can survive a trip on car roof-I but neoprene rubber bottoms on them -so they are no-skid

Mark

I personally do not use this shape-to hard to clean but nobody makes these anymore around here.

Mark

HArd to clean? Small opening? Or where the base meets the foot. I have rounded the base foot line a bit so it's easier to clean there, The small opening ,yes does give an excuse to the larger handed member of this household, but can see that it is a design issue. Aside from throwing a lidded form to retain heat, a design compromise I guess, or investmetn in a dish brush!.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users