Advanced beginner pottery, Advanced in other art

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 723 posts
  • LocationNorth Florida

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:19 PM

Slurry guy here...
I call it butter
I haven't given up the splash pans ... Yet.
I threw about 15 pounds o clay the other day and I could still see dry spots on bottom of splash pans
Caution big brother is watching.
The beige is blinding!!!!!!
The middle of the road is boring

The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.
-Albert Einstein

#22 ChenowethArts

ChenowethArts

Clay Artist & Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee - Where at least a few studios make something besides music.

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:35 AM

. . .  some days would have benefited from a pressure washer to get all of the slop from my face, hands, arms, & legs. 

Guess I'm just a mud baby as when I leave the shop I have it all over me, up to my elbows, on my legs, front of the shirt, on the glasses, and face. Ain't clay fun! I never need a facial!

Ahh… sounds like you DO play in the mud? bwaahahaha 

I'm learning that "play in the mud" is only something clay artists should speak of in whispered voices and only within the ranks of fellow mudders....lest we devalue our work.  For the general public, in order to sound more professional, I may change that "play in the mud"  description of what we do to: "I meticulously maneuver masses of argillaceous material into adroit constructs"...yes. that's the ticket! B)

Oh, and to keep this on topic... I do that "meticulous" stuff with just a little water *big grin*

Paul Chenoweth

Visit/Like me on Facebook

Connect on Twitter

#23 Roberta12

Roberta12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:06 AM

I have found as I have become more experienced at throwing, that I need less water.   A few years ago, I watched a potter throw with slip.   It really changed how I throw.  But if you need more water now, that's ok.   You will probably find that your style of throwing will change with time.   And it's really ok to change how you do things.   If it works for you, it is fine!

Pres, so glad to read the playing in mud comment!   Some days that is the best part!

#24 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,516 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:11 AM

I use little water and my wheel head stays pretty dry as I throw. I sponge the pot and use knuckle or finger tips and ribs.

Marcia

#25 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:41 AM

I'm learning that "play in the mud" is only something clay artists should speak of in whispered voices and only within the ranks of fellow mudders....lest we devalue our work.  For the general public, in order to sound more professional, I may change that "play in the mud"  description of what we do to: "I meticulously maneuver masses of argillaceous material into adroit constructs"...yes. that's the ticket! B)

I play with mud, then I go inside and work with clay.
"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#26 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:03 PM

Maybe I should have said "after working in the shop with the clay, when I go into the house I look like I have been playing in the mud"! I am on my knees begging forgiveness, but then again once said no taking back.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#27 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:28 PM

I realize, that the "Play with clay" statement, does give those, who don't know about all the time and energy that go into clay work, the wrong impression. At the same time, I think there is a bit of resentment by those, who would never consider their work to be anything people would enjoy doing, for fun.
"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#28 ChenowethArts

ChenowethArts

Clay Artist & Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee - Where at least a few studios make something besides music.

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:34 AM

I realize, that the "Play with clay" statement, does give those, who don't know about all the time and energy that go into clay work, the wrong impression. At the same time, I think there is a bit of resentment by those, who would never consider their work to be anything people would enjoy doing, for fun.

Benzine, I think you've nailed it as a matter of perception.  There is a quote from Confucius,“Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.”  Note that the quote doesn't say/imply, "Choose a job you love and you will play the rest of your life."   Based upon those perceptions, I know a bunch of clay folks who quit 'working' a long time ago even though they dedicate their lives, countless hours, and creative energy in/around the studio...having a lot of fun!

Paul Chenoweth

Visit/Like me on Facebook

Connect on Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users