What Clay Body Would You Use For Fast Drying, No Cracking

You'll probably discover that the more plastic the clay, the more likely that you will encounter more shrinkage...and more shrinkage causes stresses across a piece as it dries and, even more/uneven stress when you attempt to dry it quickly.  I have had good luck with Lizella Clay recently...it is a high iron clay with a good proportion of grog, but it is proving itself for taller, sculptural pieces.

The clay body is only one part of your fast drying solution though.  Keeping the thickness even throughout is essential. Turning and flipping the piece as it dries helps.  Even the surface where the piece is drying has an impact.  The goal is to dry it evenly...which can pose a real challenge when you are trying to dry something fast.

Paul

I have made very thick pieces using Stone Mountain Clay - 251 Raku  which is a heavily groged white body clay. I agree that it should be well made and any slip & score needs to be done right by doing the "little wiggle" between the two pieces until you feel them catch properly. My pieces fell apart when using slip & score method because I didnt "fuse" the joints. Not sure if youre building slab method or not but just sayin :)  Let us know how it turns out!

3-4 days to being able to fire it can be achieved with pretty much any clay body.  the size you want isn't really that big, I don't see any issue.  getting the piece constructed and out of the kiln in 3 days is more of a challenge but still doable - literally just did this monday night in order to mail 3 pieces this morning because part of a piece broke in transit to a show.  I'd say you need a decently grogged clay body to provide the nice porous matrix to allow water to escape the core of the clay.  Depending on your clay, you could just build it and leave it uncovered to dry out until close to leather-hard, then force dry the piece with warm air flow.  If you're buying clay, perhaps try a raku or grogged stoneware body

Archived