#21 Davidpotter

Davidpotter

Determined Young Buck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationCambridge, Wisconsin

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:48 PM

Cambridge Wisconsin is good if you are one of the people already there. I know paoli clay co. does a delivery once a month if i remember right. though there's a lot of competition for the newbies like me.

Practice, practice, practice. Then when you think you've practiced enough, the real practice begins.

#22 Rebekah Krieger

Rebekah Krieger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:17 PM

David- I have the luck of living about 10 minutes away from 3 small towns. 2 of them are trendy shopping areas (port washington and Cedarburg) There is a pottery that does consignment for 12-20 artists but more than half of them are out of state. As a local I think the "trendy & local" thing might be a benefit.  

I live in the  outskirts of a few towns, just enough country with convenience. 

Learning On my Kick wheel with my vintage Paragon (from the late 1960's)

#23 DirtRoads

DirtRoads

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • LocationEdinburg, MS

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:49 AM

I wouldn't say this is a "top" spot on a national level  (Mississippi never tops any charts except "Worst in") but Taylor, MS has started up an interesting artist orientation:

http://www.pleinairt...com/taylor.html

I really like what they have started here.

One of the top potters in my state resides and operates the business in Merigold, MS.   Population is about 500 there.  I've always found this pottery couple's story totally compelling.  Got to read this and love it.

http://mccartyspottery.com/

So while there are best cities, I think the "best for you" can be anywhere.  Isn't life full of blessings?

#24 ChenowethArts

ChenowethArts

Senior Geek & Whimsical Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee - Where at least a few studios make something besides music.

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:10 AM

I wouldn't say this is a "top" spot on a national level  (Mississippi never tops any charts except "Worst in") but Taylor, MS has started up an interesting artist orientation:

http://www.pleinairt...com/taylor.html

I really like what they have started here.

One of the top potters in my state resides and operates the business in Merigold, MS.   Population is about 500 there.  I've always found this pottery couple's story totally compelling.  Got to read this and love it.

http://mccartyspottery.com/

So while there are best cities, I think the "best for you" can be anywhere.  Isn't life full of blessings?

DirtRoads,
Taylor, MS sounds like one of those places where someone planted some quality 'art seeds' and they sprouted, blossomed, and multiplied.  If we started a thread on these types of places, I suspect that the list of small towns where visual arts are seriously thriving would be large...For instance, I immediately think of Seagrove, NC when it comes to clay artists.  I haven't even been to Seagrove, but I drool over the idea that clay has such a strong presence there.

For the current thread (and the related article referenced in the first post), the focus is more on the art/clay communities within cities...implying that nested within a more heavily populated area that arts are better supported or are gaining support for some reason in a diverse urban context.  Many of the towns that people have mentioned here (and I would include Taylor, MS in that list) are becoming art destinations, primarily due to the arts (although I'll admit to the catfish place in Taylor getting my attention).  Places like Nashville (where I live) may be destination cities, but something else (like Nashville's country music and sports) drives visitors to the area more so than the visual arts.  Nashville likely made the original, national rating list because of visual AND performing arts.  With the exception of a couple of weekends each year when TACA produces a great outdoor fair, Nashville is probably not a destination city to find the concentration of visual art that Taylor, Seagrove, etc. offer as the essence of the town.

I'm hanging onto the list of places mentioned here...sounds like the meat of a good article for Must See Destinations for Clay Artists.  Thank you for introducing me to Taylor, MS!

Paul Chenoweth
Visit/Like me on Facebook
Connect on Twitter
Mostly Ceramics on Pinterest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users