Photo
- - - - -

How Much Difference Does A De-Airing Pug Mill Make?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:02 AM

That looks great Mark. What state did it come from?

Iowa
It was a bit more pricey than Doc's bluebird
I have yet to plug it in but really want to but I need to get it cleaned up and lubed then the manual says its good for 50 tons or 1 year whichever comes 1st-for me that will be 1 year.
Mark

Doh! You pilfered that from my back yard!!! How did you come across it?
"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#42 clay lover

clay lover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 15 February 2014 - 09:27 AM

Good for you!  I will be interested in how you think it impacts your studio process.

#43 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 15 February 2014 - 08:25 PM

Today I took it all apart cleaned and greased and lubed it and reassembled now all I have to do is wire an 20 amp special T-20 outlet outside (under cover) where this will live. This is a special prong 110 outlet as they beast Draws 16 AMPS  and is a different configuration than your normal 110 outlet .The vacuum pump draws more on a separate cord and is the regular standard outlet config.

No extension cords will do with this baby.

I'm going to tackle this part after tax day after glaze day after the rain stops (ya its still raining finally)

Heres what the working guts look like on my slab roller table all cleaned up-that low fire clay was a real bear getting off-grey and slime doggy.

Mark

Attached Files

• Attached File  pp2.jpg   30.09KB   1 downloads

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#44 hershey8

hershey8

John Autry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationMineral Bluff, Ga

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:49 PM

I recently purchased an old (30 yrs) blue bird for $150. It is a 6" aluminum pipe which is reduced to 4". It is a simple machine without de-airing capability. The pipe is not in sections, so cleaning it out will be a challenge. I may have it cut and flanged into two sections. Any thoughts on retrofitting this hoss with a de-airing chamber? Doc, if you get your old bird to de-air, I would love to know how you do it.

thanks,  john autry

#45 docweathers

docweathers

Gismo Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • LocationSpokane Wa

Posted 10 July 2014 - 11:16 PM

I haven't got around to adding vacuum to my antique bluebird. I picked up a new vacuum pump on craigslist for $40. Though I understand the rationale for shoving clay through the screen, I'm not convinced that it cannot induce as many air bubbles as it allows the vacuum pump to suck out. it seems is to me as if the blades do a pretty good job of slicing up the clay. I would think that would give the vacuum pretty good access to air bubbles.However, I've never seen a De-airing pugmill that does not have one of the screens. .... I would like other people's thoughts on this theory. 

At this point, I think I'm just going to build a small clay trap with some pipe fittings and screw that into a threaded whole  in the auger tube.,

Your thought please.

Larry

Lawrence Weathers

Gismo Guy

Welded Sculpture
Pottery
Spokane WA

#46 clay lover

clay lover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:22 AM

My newish Peter Pugger does not have a screen. It has a vacuum  and there are never bubbles in the pugs.

#47 docweathers

docweathers

Gismo Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  • LocationSpokane Wa

Posted 11 July 2014 - 03:25 PM

Can you describe how your newish Peter Peter applies the vacuum, or maybe show a picture of how that part works?

Larry

Lawrence Weathers

Gismo Guy

Welded Sculpture
Pottery
Spokane WA

#48 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:05 PM

If you are getting airbubbles in the clay......... more arm (as in wedging more).  ;)   (.....more cowbell!.......)

Air bubbles in clay are not the explosion generators... but they are REALLY annoying when you are throwing on the wheel.  Also in a highly pyroplastic clay, a small airpocket in the body wall CAN tend to expand a tiny bit making a small "blister" on the surface.

best,

.......................john

That makes so much more sense now that I know that you were a former professional drummer.[cowbell]

T.

#49 schmism

schmism

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationPeoria IL

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:05 AM

Can you describe how your newish Peter Peter applies the vacuum, or maybe show a picture of how that part works?

peter puggers have a chamber behind the "end wall" of the pugger.  This has a non-airtight seal around the shaft.   you pull vacuum on that chamber then turn on the pugger.  if there is air in the clay the vacuum will drop and you can tell if your actually de-airing clay.   If the vac drops to low you need to stop pugging and let the pump catch up.   rinse and repete.

you should note that the peter pugger is a mixing pugger and has an airtight lid you shut prior to mixing and de-airing while pugging.   If your bluebird is like the shimpos were there is just an open box for you to drop slugs of clay in or force slugs of clay in,  your going to need to locate the vacuum port on the barrel of the pugger.

#50 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,807 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:59 AM

That is a beauty, Mark. It should do the job and spare your wrist.
Marcia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users