Photo
- - - - -

Dinnerware: Atmospheric Effects For Electric Firing | Steven Hill | Touchstone Center For Crafts | July 27–August 2

Touchstone Steven Hill

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Touchstone1972

Touchstone1972

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:41 PM

July 27–August 2 at Touchstone Center for Crafts
Steven Hill
Intermediate–Advanced | $800
Weeklong Workshop

In this workshop, we will design and produce sample-thrown dinnerware place settings, including plates, bowls, cups, saucers, mugs, and tumblers. More than other functional pottery, making successful dinnerware is a balancing act between the technical and aesthetic concerns of the potter. Steven will discuss his philosophy of making pottery, while throwing, assembling and decorating the forms and techniques for which he is well known. When glazing, we will address ways to achieve the kind of richness and surface variation in electric kilns that potters have come to associate with fuel-burning kilns and reduction firing. The goal is not to imitate reduction, but to set the stage so that multiple layered glazes can interact with each other in the firing. The basic techniques of spraying and the more advanced theories of layering and blending glazes will be addressed. We will fire at cone 6 oxidation. Demonstrations will be on throwing and assembly, but hand-builders are welcome as well.

S.Hill%20Image%20(2).jpg

Steven Hill earned his BFA from Kansas State University in 1973 and has been a studio potter since 1975. His work is exhibited and sold in nationally juried shows, and featured in many ceramics books. He has conducted nearly 200 workshops throughout the United States and Canada, and has written many ceramics articles. In 1998, Steven co-founded Red Star Studios Ceramic Center in Kansas City, Missouri, and he co-founded Center Street Clay in Sandwich, Illinois, in 2006. He is currently doing what he does best: making pots, writing about ceramics, teaching workshops, and letting someone else take care of business! Learn more about his work at stevenhillpottery.com

#2 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:32 PM

Well, those wares are just gorgeous. 

"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#3 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:16 PM

Well, those wares are just gorgeous. 

Ben;

That blue glaze looks a little runny though.

TJR.

#4 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:45 PM

I love that effect.

You see TJR, us here in the lower portion of North America, are used to having things be a little bit runny. It's because our liquids have time to thaw....hehe...
"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#5 ChenowethArts

ChenowethArts

Senior Geek & Whimsical Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee - Where at least a few studios make something besides music.

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:13 PM

If there is an Old-F*rt-WIth-Clay-Beneath-His-Fingernails scholarship available, I'd be sure to apply.  This sound like a terrific week...and I've heard so many great things about Steven Hill.

Paul Chenoweth
Visit/Like me on Facebook
Connect on Twitter
Mostly Ceramics on Pinterest

#6 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:41 AM

I love that effect.

You see TJR, us here in the lower portion of North America, are used to having things be a little bit runny. It's because our liquids have time to thaw....hehe...

Tres amusant! That's en Francais.

T

Editted

#7 Chris Campbell

Chris Campbell

clay stained since 1988

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:56 PM

My goodness ... Is francesais spell check for francais or is that an insider Canadian joke?

Chris Campbell
Contemporary Fine Colored Porcelain
http://www.ccpottery.com/

https://www.facebook...88317932?ref=hl

TRY ...   FAIL ...  LEARN ...  REPEAT

#8 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:15 PM

My goodness ... Is francesais spell check for francais or is that an insider Canadian joke?

Be Kind these ursine lifeforms are just thawing out and its humour awakens first.

#9 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:43 PM

Francais, sorry.

T.

#10 bciskepottery

bciskepottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:24 PM

Perhaps if Steven Hill were not so generous in sharing his slip and glazing techniques and recipes, as well as moving a body of work from cone 10 to cone 6 electric/oxidation, one wouldn't see so many copies at craft shows. Maybe the onus should be on those taking his workshops/using his techniques should strive to develop their own palettes and styles that build upon Steven Hill's knowledge, and not just settle for copying what they learn.

#11 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:27 PM

I think there is a famous quote" Copy everything but not yourself"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users