Uneven Top Edge And Thickness Of Wall On Pots

I have been throwing for years and I noticed just lately that pot after pot has had one area on the top edge that is uneven and there is also one side of the pot with an uneven thickness in the wall. How does something like that just happen?

Samnus- it would be interesting to look at a photo, or get a little clarification as to what manner of 'unevenness' you're dealing with. To me, it sounds like you're thinning a section of the developing form too much, too soon. If you do this, it can lead to a 'bulge' or slant in the form that's almost impossible to rectify... as well as a deformed lip to the pot...

I had this happening with some stiff porcelain that had hard surfaces on the pug. I have been slicing and slamming it since then and this seems to help. First I slam the bag onto the floor on all six sides. Then slice into about 1" slices and slam onto the wedging table, first in one direction, then sideways. I do this for the whole 25 pound bag, then wedge up lumps to throw. It seems to help homogenized the hardness/softness throughout.

Marcia

Walls that are not even thickness all the way around can be caused by several things. First, it can come from the clay not being centered properly. Make sure yo cone it at least 3 times to get a smooth consistent ball and don't have any wobbles. Second, it can be from opening off center. Make sure your arms are anchored to your legs and your hands are anchored together when you open. But if you're centering and opening on center, then it can be caused by starting your pull before you have established the pinch all the way around the pot. So when you do a pull, make your pinch at the bottom, right against the wheel head, with your outside hand, and let the wheel go around a couple times before you start pulling up.

Marcia, I think your suggestion may be the answer...I changed from porcelain, where everything was OK, to a new clay, which I thought I had softened up...but obviously not enough. I guess I need to do some cutting and slamming together...I only threw down the bag of clay on each of its corners.

Thx for all of the inputs...you are all so willing to help...we really appreciate that!!

Archived