Liquid Bright Gold Application

Hi Eveyrone,

thanks for all the help so far on this site, its a fantastic community!

i have a small question about Liquid Bright Gold; can i apply it over a glaze that i have already fired - at witness cone 06?

i have some pieces that were fired at 06, then glazed and fired at 06, now i would like to add some further decoration with the liquid bright gold, which says it needs to be fired to 019-018. 

so the simple question is: can i apply it over already fired glazes?

sorry if it seems a stupid question! i'm learning all the time!

thanks so much!

Toni

• 9 months later...

Hey everybody,

I want to apply liquid bright gold to a porcelain and this happened (look the picture posted).
I cleaned the surface with 70% alcohol and everything is clean because I used new stuff. Why I have this problem where I can see some white spots through gold coat?

Thanks everybody who can help :)

problems with Liquid Bright Gold

This is not my field but 30 years ago I used up more than one bottle of gold luster. The thing is clean-clean with something that leaves NO residue-and after application keep dust off-we used to paint load and fire same day-no dust issues

Achohol leaves a film if I recall-you need a better cleaner.

Hers some tips from Baileys web site on thier use.

https://www.baileypottery.com/glazes/duncanoverglazes.htm

Mark

And remember to apply that stuff with gloves and a respirator! Luster is icky icky stuff to breathe or get on your skin. My college instructor always harped on us about it...

I would use a few test tiles and do some trial and error work. Do you have a test kiln? That might help a lot and take less time!

Thanks guys a lot.
So, you think this is cleaning problem after all?

Can it be that this is a contaminated gold? I heard that this can be a problem.
Also, I see sometimes purple color.

I am new to this, so sorry for begginer's questions but if you have any other tip, please, be my guest :)

Either your surface had some film or you let dust settle on it or your brush was contaminated or a few others i'm missing.

I cannot speak about the bottle of gold-it seems the other problems would be greater than the bottle.

Mark

Archived