How Do You Start Your Trimming?

Just a bit of an update, and a set back. Surgery was scheduled for this morning at 6:30; Dr. decided not to go in because I had an open wound where he would be working. He did not want to risk getting infection into the bone. Some time next week.

Ooohhh.  I feel for you.  Take care and get the healing process going.  Stay away from the wet dirty stuff :)

For those of you not understanding thumping, there is a video I just saw by Van Gilder on trimming plates-google van gilder plate trimming. Covers some interesting facets of trimming, but does advertise his tools.

Look after your hands!!  Open wound?? Wear work gloves. Don't do what i do, do what I say!

Good luck, read books and view videos for a week.

Open wound was just a blood blister that ripped open, I had to cut the flap of skin off. Dried up pretty well, healed over, but bowling cracked the new tissue and became infected slightly. Dr. does not want to risk bone infection-he's the boss.

I never used the needle tool trimming,…  It didn't occur to me.  I ordered some trimming tools from hischuen lin and use the long one on the outside of the foot, then the metal rib to smooth the outside of the pot. Finally I use the kemper flat trimming tool on the bottom starting from where I want the foot to begin going inward. I always tend to trim deeper near the outside of the foot vs the center.  If the pot is uneven I use the saw blade tool from Hischuen on the bottom and hold my hand as steady as possible to get a flat bottom.  

Open wound was just a blood blister that ripped open, I had to cut the flap of skin off. Dried up pretty well, healed over, but bowling cracked the new tissue and became infected slightly. Dr. does not want to risk bone infection-he's the boss.

Is this a ceramicyst?

Great news, really enjoy your input to these forums. Carefully insert thumb in bowling balls from now on!

After reading how you level base before starting the trim, I have liberated a long straight edged Japanes kitchen knife for that purpose. It's enjoying the ambience.

Shop is frozen solid as I turned off the heat after taking the glazes, liquids like wax and sodium silicate to the basement. It will take a week of heat in this weather to make it livable again. Maybe in three weeks when I am healed up. I have a bisque of 20 patens to run, and then some chalices to throw.

Great news, really enjoy your input to these forums. Carefully insert thumb in bowling balls from now on!

After reading how you level base before starting the trim, I have liberated a long straight edged Japanes kitchen knife for that purpose. It's enjoying the ambience.

Hope you find the technique useful, I use it for everything now, not just for larger bases.

Shop is frozen solid as I turned off the heat after taking the glazes, liquids like wax and sodium silicate to the basement. It will take a week of heat in this weather to make it livable again. Maybe in three weeks when I am healed up. I have a bisque of 20 patens to run, and then some chalices to throw.

You know, that sounds like a lot of work every winter.  Maybe the shop could just move to the basement.....

Hope you find the technique useful, I use it for everything now, not just for larger bases.

Yes I am too, I hope it gets rid of the occasional spinner I get when I even the foot as a final trim, this final trim will be no big deal.

Thanks

Not really, typical old house partly floored basement.I keep a had in the stair well to protect my head when walking around down there! :(

Oooo, that's too bad. I'm not too tall, so I could probably get away with it.

I love my basement studio space. It's a little chilly due to the concrete floors and walls, and the only heat comes from the radiator pipes running elsewhere. Once I throw the wool sweater on, I'm good. Especially with a cup of fancied up coffee in me.

Not really, typical old house partly floored basement.I keep a had in the stair well to protect my head when walking around down there! :(

Oooo, that's too bad. I'm not too tall, so I could probably get away with it.

I love my basement studio space. It's a little chilly due to the concrete floors and walls, and the only heat comes from the radiator pipes running elsewhere. Once I throw the wool sweater on, I'm good. Especially with a cup of fancied up coffee in me.

Benzine, what weight of clay do you put in your yunomis, they look a great size  for the thirsty cold/hot potter?

Archived