Rebekah Krieger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:46 PM

"there is no bad art, and good art doesn't match your couch."

Well, I totally disagree with this statement Blondie! ( I found out at NCECA that Rebekah is blonde right now. :P  :D )

There are train loads of bad art and lots of homes are decorated around the Art inside ... so it does indeed match the sofa.

Hmmm, I just thought the light hair color was from the filter used on the profile photo.

I live in "hi key"

Learning On my Kick wheel with my vintage Paragon (from the late 1960's)

#22 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:18 PM

Before I started decorating all of my work, I used to use a lot of oriental Temmokus and Celadons. Since I was the studio tech for ceramics, I used to dump all of the left over stoneware glazes together and try to come up with a beautiful slop glaze.

I did such a thing with a glaze called Shambinski Jawalski special.Named after my prof., Robert Archambeau.

This glaze was golden, breaking red and blue, from rutile, I assume.

It was BEAUTIFUL!

I made a large bowl and glazed it with this glaze, even though I was running out of it. The bowl was beautiful. My friend bought it at our annual student sale.She admired it and took it home.

Later, I was at her house, and asked if I could see her bowl. She proudly displayed the bowl, full of dirt, with a plant growing in it.[She put dirt in my beautiful bowl!]

Of course, I sold it. She bought it. She can do with it what ever she wants. And she was happy.

End of story.

TJR.

#23 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 29 March 2014 - 05:33 PM

The largest bowl I ever threw on the wheel was 36" in diameter glaze fired. I had done a series of calligraphic brush strokes over a nice oatmeal colored glaze. It is a very fine piece. We gave it to my wife's sister. It sits in the den full of magazines!

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#24 Rebekah Krieger

Rebekah Krieger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 30 March 2014 - 09:25 PM

The largest bowl I ever threw on the wheel was 36" in diameter glaze fired. I had done a series of calligraphic brush strokes over a nice oatmeal colored glaze. It is a very fine piece. We gave it to my wife's sister. It sits in the den full of magazines!

Painful!

Learning On my Kick wheel with my vintage Paragon (from the late 1960's)

#25 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:33 AM

Keeps us humble. :lol:

#26 Pugaboo

Pugaboo

Lifetime artist 2nd year potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • LocationHelen, GA

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:40 PM

I make pots, boxes, ceramic pieces because I want to decorate them. It's the entire reason I started doing pottery. I wanted to get my own designs and images on the surfaces of items other than paper, canvas or glass. Now I create a piece for the sole purpose of decorating it. I get an image in my head, sketch it out, do up a maquette of the piece, make it out of clay, then use one of many techniques to get the design onto it to realize my original vision. I LOVE decorating pottery it's the best combination I have discovered to combine all the art forms and imagery I love. Oh and yes I am obsessed with clay and hope I am always obsessed with it.

Terry
The world is but a canvas to the imagination - Henry David Thoreau

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users