Kiln To Propane Tank Distance

I keep both my propane kiln and forge about 12 feet away from my 100 lb tank.   My reasoning is that I don't want the little pressure release valve ever to leak propane into my workspace, turning the tank into a flame thrower.

I've seen people with their tanks closer and farther, though.  

Guest JBaymore

If the installation is an "on the books" one (permits pulled or town offices contacted, etc.), it is likely that your local zoning / building / fire safety codes will give you a lot of this information. Most specify the distance from the tank to windows, doors, basement opening, flame bearing appliances, spark producing appliances, and so on. That vertical style tank must be secured from tipping as Neil mentions.

Your propane company should be able to advise you on this stuff as can your local building inspector's office.

If you are able to fill, pick up, and install the gas cylinders yourself (and no one "official" will be seeing the installation), then you have options... and I'd err on the further rather than close option for safety. 10 feet minimum. Preferably 25.

However, if you do not follow the local laws pertaining to this stuff, you can get into big trouble if there is ever any problem. Or if someone "official" discovers the installation after the fact. This could include your insurance company refusing to cover you for any losses that might have happened.

See here for NFPA (national fire code) basics: http://www.propane101.com/images/propane-tank-distances.gif

best,

...........................john

Piping is cheap gas leaks can happen-put it 20-30 feet away and rest easy.

Your local propane co. will tell you over the phone-My friends (in norcal) set one up last year (3oo gallon) about 20 from shop.

The propane co did the set up.Piped it to kiln as well-only charged for materials.

Mark

You can call the building Dept and ask about your local code on tank distance?

Guest JBaymore

Propane companies LIKE to sell propane. ;)

best,

......................john

Like bars and booze?

I added a note about building dept call.

Mark

In the case of potters.... more like drug dealers and heroin . :lol:  :lol::lol:  

best,

...................................john

As and old aging retired architect, I can testify that there are federal, state, local, and some home owner association regulations that may apply to any propane tank installation...and some of those regulations are based upon tank size/capacity. I would urge anyone considering a propane and/or kiln installation to consult your local codes administration.  This is not a step to avoid/skip..  Here is an example local regulation (Nashville, TN) based on tank size as an example...

Tanks under 125 gallons water capacity:

• must be at least 10 feet from a window air conditioner
  • must be placed a minimum of 5 feet from a crawl space opening

Tanks 125-500 gallons water capacity:

• must be placed a minimum of 10 feet from a building
  • must be at least 10 feet from a line of adjoining property

Tanks up to 2000 gallons water capacity:

• must be placed a minimum of 25 feet from the building
  • no part of an underground tank of this size shall be less than 10 feet from a building or line of adjoining property

I onced lived in California but for the past 40 something years its been behind the redwood curtain.

The two lane bad roads -no jobs and a once rainy climate keep most of the Kalifornias and a few from other parts on the other side of the curtain.

But no matter where you reside keep those tanks some distance away.

I like my gas at low pressure(1/4 pound) in a 2 inch line -Its an all natural scene.

Mark

Guest JBaymore

Seems you need to be careful of two variables: distance from propane tank to house/building/property line/etc. and distance from propane tank to kiln. Looks like most regulations only address the former.

NFPA Section 58......... "minimum of 10 feet from ignition source.........."

best,

.................john

Here in upstate NY fire code dictates 10 feet from ignition source. I would add that keeping it in a well ventilated, not in direct sun, outside sort of spot would give you the piece of mind that if it does leak as stated above from the PRV that it will do so in a way that it is away from light switches compressors and the like and cannot fill a space with vapor. Pressure relief valves will let vapor out if the tank gets too warm. Keeping it out of the sun will keep temps down when it is hot out.

Archived