Need Ideas For Fixing Underglaze Problem

Hi everyone,

I coated parts of a tile mural with red underglaze, but after glazing and firing, the red is very spotty. I didn't apply the underglaze thick enough and you can see light and dark patches throughout the piece. Any ideas on how I can touch this up now that it's glazed and finished?

Are there red overglazes or another method I can use to even out the red in this piece? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ed

Your problem could have been the clear glaze leeching out the red as well.

In the past I have applied the underglaze color again over the glaze, then re fired.

Sometimes it works. Other times, not.

If you try another product the reds won't match and it might look worse.

No guarantee so your course of action depends on how bad it looks now versus

perhaps having to redo it.

Thank you all for your timely replys!

I fixed the concern using two techniques. I Photoshoped a design pattern that fit over the nine red ladies skirts that are on my tile mural, printed them onto decal paper, applied them, and fired them to cone 06. This added a really good demension to the peice that the plain red (and spotty) overglaze didn't offer. I then used a Testors Enamel Paint Marker to touch up some areas that could have used more of the decal pattern to cover the red spottiness.

I'm very pleased with the results!

Thanks again for your insight. I'll post a picture of the piece as soon as I get a chance.

Ed

Hi everyone,

I coated parts of a tile mural with red underglaze, but after glazing and firing, the red is very spotty. I didn't apply the underglaze thick enough and you can see light and dark patches throughout the piece. Any ideas on how I can touch this up now that it's glazed and finished?

Are there red overglazes or another method I can use to even out the red in this piece? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Ed

Hi

I use 'on glaze' paints - 'over glaze' to others. I was thinking that if your work has been glazed and finished why not coat the red area with a red on glaze and refire. I use Pottercrafts Post Office Red - look on their website. They are England based but post immediately and didn't charge me extra for the postage. The red is awesome - really strong and red, if you get what I mean.

If you have an electric kiln, I fired the red to 794 deg c for a perfect colour. Because under glazes fire higher than this they should not be affected by the lower firing. I know 'on glaze' means the paint sits on top of the glaze but I don't like this and I can get it so that the red sinks into the glaze and becomes part of it.

If you want to try this let me know and I will give you exact firing details from beginning to end.

Good Luck!

Archived