Kilns For Dummies?

Thanks- I didn't realize I could use a cone setting.  I thought I needed to make a schedule and program it in. (which is hard to know since I have always just relied on the kiln to heat at it's own rate 1 and a half hours cracked open, 1 hour on low, 2 hrs on medium, and turn to high till it shut off) I know I will eventually figure it out. Once I get the kiln figured out I plan to learn and start exploring my own glazes rather than amoco and Coyote 

Question… is there a setting for 5 1/2? I have been teetering between cone 5 and 6. I like all my glazes best at 6 other than 1 glaze that works better at 5.  

are hold temps programed specifically for specific glaze techniques etc ? That is the part that confuses me the most. 

This is my primary issue with commercial glazes. Some work well at 5, some work well at 6. And it's difficult to alter them to all work at the same cone without knowing the formula. So, to get to cone 5 1/2, fire to cone 5 and add a hold at the end. I'd start with 10 minutes and go from there. You'll need to put cones in the kiln to know for sure. The accuracy of your thermocouple will have some effect here, too. It may be that your computerized kiln set to cone 5 is the same as your manual kiln with cone 5 in the sitter. I'd put a new thermocouple in it first thing so you can start with as few variables as possible. Email me your address if you need one and I can get it out Monday morning. You'll have it Tuesday.

Archived