Photo
- - - - -

Unwanted Visitors To Pottery Shed. Had Any?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:27 PM

I found the skeletal remains of a small rodent on a plate as I was unloading a kiln. It was kind of beautiful, in a odd way, but the student whose work it was stuck to wasn't happy.

I've often wondered how much would be left of bone, in a kiln.  Was it mostly ash?

"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#22 Karen B

Karen B

Potter 1981-present

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:06 AM

After weeks of smelling a bad smell in my studio, I found a dead mouse floating in a vase that had contained flowers and still had water. My only other guests are daddy long legs. We co-exist fairly comfortably.

#23 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:27 AM

My only other guests are daddy long legs. We co-exist fairly comfortably.

Daddy longlegs in my experience have the ability to excrete white/beige on black slate and excrete black/brown on white tiles.... rather have a snake skin.

#24 ChenowethArts

ChenowethArts

Senior Geek & Whimsical Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee - Where at least a few studios make something besides music.

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:05 AM

I have to watch for spiders...but at the moment, I'm doing my best to keep Jack Frost  away :)

Paul Chenoweth
Visit/Like me on Facebook
Connect on Twitter
Mostly Ceramics on Pinterest

#25 Denice

Denice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • LocationWichita, Kansas

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:31 AM

Oh I forgot about the wasp, they come in a vent for my kiln room, we had to put a more open screen in it.  The fine mesh screen wasn't allowing enough air to move through it and was straining the fan's motor.  Denice

#26 muddylane

muddylane

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Locationsouth africa

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:12 PM

we lived on a farm, and the cattle walked past my studio on the way to be dipped. One day a bull calf went a bit off-course, and chased my cat thro my studio.  I just stood and watched, aghast, and between them they did not break a thing.  Bull in a china shop came to mind.  Nowadays i only have frogs that croak loudly.

#27 Mart

Mart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:41 PM

I chased a rat snake out of a big, hard brick burn out kiln the other day.  We have rats in the studios--all of them.  There are roaches during the summer--geckos too, those are cute though.  The occasional possum will wander in as well.  And I work for a university :P

LOL. If you have rats, you keep the snake around so it can eat the rats and keep your place clean. You never heard this before?

#28 justanassembler

justanassembler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, LA

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:00 PM

I chased a rat snake out of a big, hard brick burn out kiln the other day.  We have rats in the studios--all of them.  There are roaches during the summer--geckos too, those are cute though.  The occasional possum will wander in as well.  And I work for a university :P

LOL. If you have rats, you keep the snake around so it can eat the rats and keep your place clean. You never heard this before?

Unfortunately, living in the kiln just wasn't going to work for the rat snake and I as students needed to fire it--so he slithered off into some grass--im guessing he is still around and snacking on our rat population 

#29 Karen B

Karen B

Potter 1981-present

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:21 PM

My only other guests are daddy long legs. We co-exist fairly comfortably.

Daddy longlegs in my experience have the ability to excrete white/beige on black slate and excrete black/brown on white tiles.... rather have a snake skin.

They catch other insects and the mummified remains can build up. I reduce the population from time to time with a broom.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users