Sign in to follow this  
DirtRoads

Need Advice Quickly About Cold Weather/kiln Operation

The coldest weather I've seen with my kilns is around 25 degrees (F).  Kilns are enclosed carport with no wind blowing in .  In 25 degrees coldest room gets is about 40 degrees.  

Expecting a low of 11 degrees.  What temperature do I need to run kilns?  Seems like I read room temp needs to be 32 degrees (F).   What are the guidelines?

Kiln schedule is

Bisque kiln firing Monday morning - Outside Temp expected to be around 20 degrees

Glaze kiln firing Monday night - Outside Temp  15 degrees dropping to around 11degrees

Bisque kiln firing Tuesday night-  Outside Temp around 30 degees

Glaze kiln firing Wednesday morning Temperatures 35/47 .... back to normal

Should I just skip firing on those 2 days?

What do your kiln and controller manuals say?  My controller says storage temp of -20 to +50 deg C, with an operating temp of 0 to 50 deg C.  (From memory)

Thanks Chilly.  It says "in cold weather raise the temperature of the kiln's switch box to at least 32 degrees (F) (0 degrees C) before operating with a space heater." (its 0 to 50 C like yours)

So as long as it's 32 degrees on controller temperature, you can fun kiln.   I suppose that once kiln starts, temperature will keep rising and ambient temperature in room has no effect?     Can't imagine these low temperatures wouldn't affect the kiln's firing  but  it seems it's only the temperature on the controller that matters?

I ran mine when overnight low was predicted to be 3 deg C,  My kiln is in a greenhouse! The minimum inside temperature that night was 14 deg C and the max was about 20.  Windows were open for ventilation and power cable entry, so I guess the heat from the kiln will keep the controller warmer than otherwise.  Good luck.

You need the controller temperature to be above freezing . . . so the electronics (thermocouples, relays, etc) work properly. Once kiln gets going, the controller box will stay warm. Your controller is a computer; it doesn't work well in extremes. So, it might be good to have a heater on at the controller level for a pre-firing warm up and then during the initial firing schedule. Similar to folks using a fan to keep the controller from overheating during summer and hot days.

I was worried because it will be about 5 degrees here in north Georgia in the morning. My manual kiln (Kiln sitter) just turned off and is in cool down mode with all peeps in place. My basement my hit the 40's by morning. But this sounds mild compared to Colorado. My Skutt has 2 1/2 inch thick bricks. Will this temperature make things cool too fast?  Right now basement is about 60 f.

ja