Books! Two Great Finds This Weekend

I had to drop off some used books to sell yesterday. We have a place here that will give you a voucher or a lesser cash payout for your stuff, so I made a run and decided to snoop the ceramics shelf. I found 2 hardbacks for a total of $9

I looked them up on Amazon to see what they are selling for:

http://www.amazon.com/Stoneware-Porcelain-Daniel-Rhodes/dp/0801900980/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1388942995&sr=1-1&keywords=stoneware+and+porcelain+rhodes This looks like a nice reference book and I paid $3 for it.

http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Potter-Step---step-Handbook/dp/0681783273/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1388943087&sr=1-2&keywords=the+practical+potter+warshaw This one was $6 and I like all the photos showing cross sections of stuff on the wheel.

I'm a happy camper! running-around-smiley-emoticon.gif

So, what's on your library shelves?

Oh Just Peachy....even though it's not a reference book, I am reading a children's book right now that is called A Single Shard by Linda Sue Park.  It's about a young boy in 12th century Korea that is apprenticed to an elderly potter in a village.   I find myself just amazed at how hard potters had to work then to have clay, glaze, firing, etc.   It really is a wonderful book!  great read for potters! 

Guest JBaymore

Roberta... that is a great book.

If you like that one, for an adult level read, look for "The Road Thru Miyama" by Leila Phillip.. Steven Branfman's Potters SHop bookstore has it.

best,

.....................john

Roberta... that is a great book.

If you like that one, for an adult level read, look for "The Road Thru Miyama" by Leila Phillip.. Steven Branfman's Potters SHop bookstore has it.

best,

.....................john

Amazon has it. I love Amazon! http://www.amazon.com/Road-Through-Miyama-Leila-Philip/dp/039457818X/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1388969124&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=The+Road+Thru+Miyama+Leila+Phillip

Looks like a really sweet read! Thanks John

Good finds! Is the Warshaw book, by Josie Warshaw? I have that and really think it has good instruction in it. I liked the cross sections also.

Yes, that's the one. My only qualm with it is that the print is soooo small. I need to get my glasses updated. lol

B)

I had to drop off some used books to sell yesterday. We have a place here that will give you a voucher or a lesser cash payout for your stuff, so I made a run and decided to snoop the ceramics shelf. I found 2 hardbacks for a total of $9

I looked them up on Amazon to see what they are selling for:

http://www.amazon.com/Stoneware-Porcelain-Daniel-Rhodes/dp/0801900980/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1388942995&sr=1-1&keywords=stoneware+and+porcelain+rhodes This looks like a nice reference book and I paid $3 for it.

http://www.amazon.com/Practical-Potter-Step---step-Handbook/dp/0681783273/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1388943087&sr=1-2&keywords=the+practical+potter+warshaw This one was $6 and I like all the photos showing cross sections of stuff on the wheel.

I'm a happy camper! running-around-smiley-emoticon.gif

So, what's on your library shelves?

I bought the Rhodes book when it first came out. At that time, it was affordable to purchase all the books published on ceramics... I think there were about 10 of them. Of course, no internet to ask questions and most libraries did not stock the books, either. So I got into the habit of buying the books as they came out. Now a large wall in my studio is filled with long groaning shelves of books and I gave up keeping up with new books a long time ago. The access to and explosion of information is wonderful.

Ruth

I bought the Rhodes book when it first came out. At that time, it was affordable to purchase all the books published on ceramics... I think there were about 10 of them. Of course, no internet to ask questions and most libraries did not stock the books, either. So I got into the habit of buying the books as they came out. Now a large wall in my studio is filled with long groaning shelves of books and I gave up keeping up with new books a long time ago. The access to and explosion of information is wonderful.

Ruth

I always look at the copyright on most of the books that I purchase, so I won't tell if you don't! giggle.gif and I certainly have fond memories of the local library and the card catalog and ordering books from adjacent branches. Those were the days, but I still collect books because I love the feel of them in my hand and even the smell too. The internet is like the biggest library in the world, but nothing can replace curling up in a sunny, warm spot and coddling the pages of an interesting book! Pure heaven!

I agree, I need a book. Sometimes when I had been potting hard, I will take a break, get a cold drink and sit out on the steps to my studio with the Cats and just look at the pictures. My favorite for this is the Lark 500 Bowls. I have marked so many pages as favorites, the marks are all running together.

I have a large no. of books. Aside from the Rhodes books, I also purchased in the 70s a book by Paulus Berensohn. "Finding one's way with Clay" I still get inspiration and enjoyment from the writing and information in this book. A dancer, he writes of the need to work at and perfect the technique required to express what is within us as we work with clay.

Don't know if this book is still available, perhaps I'll look Paulus Berensohn up and find out if he is still making his wondrous pots.

Archived