What Dvd To Buy...surface Decoration

Hello all!  I can't seem to chose between the DVDS available for purchase and I can only afford one right now.  I'm looking at the Layering Surfaces, Surface Techniques, Decals, and Andrew Gilliant.  Any one have any really good things to say about any of these?  

I do a lot of underglaze work with pattern, shapes, paper stencils, decals, and lithography on clay.  I appreciate any advice. 

Thanks!

I can't really help you choose, but have often wondered who buys these DVDs - and if many are sold. As good as they are, they all seem very expensive to me. I would have thought that they'd sell many more if they were less expensive. I appreciate that they take a lot of making, and share a lot of the author's knowledge and skills, but I'd find it hard to justify the cost myself. What do others think?

I can't give you any advice on those, but I really liked Kristen Kieffer's Surface Decoration DVD (my husband got it for me as a gift last year, at my request). Here was my criteria for choosing it:

1. Sample clips gave a good overview on what was on the DVD and whether those techniques would be interesting/useful to me

2. The artist's body of work is one I admire

3. The knowledge that if I didn't like it, I could resell it on eBay or to one of my pottery pals. Yes, I'd be taking a loss, but that's the chance you take with buying sight unseen.

You might be able to check some of them out first (before buying) if you take a peek at SmartFlix.com. Good luck! Let us know which one you pick - and how much you like it (or don't like it, as the case may be).

I can second John's suggestion of Maureen Mill's book; it is very well done and a good resource. (Yeah, and John has a nice piece in it, too). I have the Kristen Kieffer DVD and like that also.

Regardless of the one you choose, hope it arrives. I'm still waiting for one that I pre-ordered in November; it was supposedly shipped on Dec. 23.

Guest JBaymore

Maureen is a great potter and teacher. If you get a chance to take a workshop with her, you won't be disappointed.

That is a great book that covers a lot of bases.  She has done great detailed photos and write ups.

best,

.........................john

PS:  Thanks for the plug, bciskepottery :) .  I think it is a few pieces though B) .

I can't give you any advice on those, but I really liked Kristen Kieffer's Surface Decoration DVD (my husband got it for me as a gift last year, at my request). Here was my criteria for choosing it:

1. Sample clips gave a good overview on what was on the DVD and whether those techniques would be interesting/useful to me

2. The artist's body of work is one I admire

3. The knowledge that if I didn't like it, I could resell it on eBay or to one of my pottery pals. Yes, I'd be taking a loss, but that's the chance you take with buying sight unseen.

You might be able to check some of them out first (before buying) if you take a peek at SmartFlix.com. Good luck! Let us know which one you pick - and how much you like it (or don't like it, as the case may be).

Problem is I love all the clips!!!!  Haha haha!  I really like kristen kieffer's preview of her whole DVD (what's in each chapter).  Thanks everyone. I'll tell you what I chose to do.

• 4 weeks later...

I would choose Layered Surfaces with Erin Furimsky... And I DID. I bought the Dvd and its great. I do a lot of underglaze work, stencils, stamping, expressions, patterns etc and her DVD really helped me. I also bought Ceramic Decals by Justin Rothshank and love it as well, it has allowed me to add yet another layer to my surfaces.

I have several others in my WISH file and when I make enough to afford another one on the list will get another one, probably Form, Pattern and underglaze by Meredith Host since she does the flexible screen printing technique which I want to try. I too wish they were a bit less expensive but I do not regret a single penny I spent getting Layered Surfaces.

Not sure if this helped or not but at least you have heard from someone that has purchased one of the DVDs.

Terry

Archived