#41 ayjay

ayjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationHampshire, UK.

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:43 AM

Not getting any drier here: I've got to paddle now to get to the studio garage,  (it's been worse in the past, the house is in no danger). 

#42 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,066 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:59 PM

Central PA, we are in the single digits at night till around 10am, climb to 25F during the day. We have a church next to us, and scrape/shovel their walks with mine-double wide 100yds. Luckily we have only been getting nuisance snow, scrape a little, get warm for a day, scrape some more the next day. Most of the time I just use a good push broom, but boy is it cold out there at midnight!

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#43 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:25 AM

Warming up to 50 mid day here .

I bet TRJ gets the prize for coldest today

M

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#44 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:56 AM

Up to -11F this morning! Heat wave!

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#45 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,066 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:16 AM

-10F. this morning-Colder enough I'm not going into the shop. By Saturday it is to be in the 40F. Sunday 50F. I hope this is the last of this back door to the artic being open.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#46 ayjay

ayjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationHampshire, UK.

Posted 07 January 2014 - 12:34 PM

50°F here today and some sunshine after a few showers this morning, still pretty breezy @ F6 for most of the day.

We've been getting news reports in the UK of your cold spell in the USA;  just wondering if that's been reciprocated.

It's been very windy and very wet here for some days now, many coastal areas are taking a real battering at high tides and some low lying country areas are totally flooded.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25618080

http://www.itv.com/n...by-floodwaters/

#47 Rebekah Krieger

Rebekah Krieger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:07 PM

wind chills of around -45 here.  That is with -17 food the actual temperature.  My fingers are stiff from working in the basement with cold water. 

Learning On my Kick wheel with my vintage Paragon (from the late 1960's)

#48 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,066 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:09 PM

I had hoped to get more done in the shop before the 24th. Maybe next week, but then I will be prebowling for 3 weeks of two leagues. The 24th I have to have a bit of outpatient surgery on my thumb to remove a cyst and a bone spur. Minor stuff.

#49 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:50 PM

wind chills of around -45 here.  That is with -17 food the actual temperature.  My fingers are stiff from working in the basement with cold water. 

My studio is in the basement as well.  We have radiator heat, so there is heat down there, via the pipes on the ceiling.  However, most the heat doesn't radiate that far from the ceiling, and just goes right up through the floor, I blame physic.  My new favorite outfit in there is a comfy pair of shoes and jeans, with a nice thick wool sweater...Oh and a baseball cap.  The wool is key.  It's warm, and as a bonus repels water pretty well.

"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#50 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:09 PM

I'll send you a wool sweater Norm.

#51 Rebekah Krieger

Rebekah Krieger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:28 PM

My studio is in the basement as well.  We have radiator heat, so there is heat down there, via the pipes on the ceiling.  However, most the heat doesn't radiate that far from the ceiling, and just goes right up through the floor, I blame physic.  My new favorite outfit in there is a comfy pair of shoes and jeans, with a nice thick wool sweater...Oh and a baseball cap.  The wool is key.  It's warm, and as a bonus repels water pretty well.

don't your arms get gross when throwing? I have to wear short sleeves when working on the wheel. The hat is a good idea though. I should also consider a sweater vest that I don't mind getting full of clay. 

#52 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:35 PM

don't your arms get gross when throwing? I have to wear short sleeves when working on the wheel. The hat is a good idea though. I should also consider a sweater vest that I don't mind getting full of clay. 

Oh I roll the sleeve up to the elbow or so.  However, generally my forearms don't get terribly dirty.  Usually it is just a bit on the underside of my wrist,

#53 Rebekah Krieger

Rebekah Krieger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:15 PM

Oh I roll the sleeve up to the elbow or so.  However, generally my forearms don't get terribly dirty.  Usually it is just a bit on the underside of my wrist,

I get slop all the way up to my elbows-! 

#54 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:51 PM

It is not the Canadian way to brag, but here goes;

It's been minus 35 C for more than three weeks. People are driving like they are in the "Road Warrior." Wrecked cars all over the place and smashed traffic lights.

One of my studio doors is frozen solid. I managed to get inside the other one, but the the door re-sealed itself. Had to call my wife at work to call my sons at home to whale on the door to get me out. Took a hammer to the edge of the door which is encrusted with ice.

The studio is so warm, that when the warm air hits that tiny cold gap, it freezes instantly.

Now I am scared to go out there in case nobody finds me until spring. I could lose a bit of weight, though.

TJR.

#55 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:50 PM

It is not the Canadian way to brag, but here goes;

It's been minus 35 C for more than three weeks. People are driving like they are in the "Road Warrior." Wrecked cars all over the place and smashed traffic lights.

One of my studio doors is frozen solid. I managed to get inside the other one, but the the door re-sealed itself. Had to call my wife at work to call my sons at home to whale on the door to get me out. Took a hammer to the edge of the door which is encrusted with ice.

The studio is so warm, that when the warm air hits that tiny cold gap, it freezes instantly.

Now I am scared to go out there in case nobody finds me until spring. I could lose a bit of weight, though.

TJR.

Take care TJR, have you got a blow torch or the likes in there, one way of getting out of going to school, and you may get a few pots done!

Any forecasts of how long this cold is going to last? "whale on the door"? What is that?? Mass of weight?

#56 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:10 PM

TJR-thats not a climate thats a wrath

I can see the headlines-potter found in early spring in studio-mummified from the winter freeze

His wife and kids did not notice him missing for months and had bought a massive life insurance policy in mid January

The police are checking into the whole affair.

Mark

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#57 bciskepottery

bciskepottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,495 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:54 PM

Those critters that visit the studio never show up when they are needed the most.

#58 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,978 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:55 PM

TJR,
Maybe carry a torch with you so you can escape.
Hope it warms up or you.

Marcia

#59 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:04 PM

TJR,Maybe carry a torch with you so you can escape.Hope it warms up or you.Marcia

Just be cautious when doing so. A guy was on the news around here, for using a torch to thaw some frozen pipes. He started his house on fire.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users