#41 perkolator

perkolator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:11 PM

Has anyone got the Bailey electric kiln? I'm looking at the 2327-10, just out of curiosity. 

http://www.baileypot...elec2327-10.htm

I'm wondering what people's experiences are with this kiln. Are the elements easy to change? Pros and cons are appreciated.

Thanks!

pretty sure the top loading Bailey electrics are the same as a Skutt, where elements go directly into the soft brick channel.  It's the front-loaders he now makes that have the element holders similar to an L&L.

Personally, I don't see the issue with a Skutt kilns, I think they are great.  I'm on the West Coast, they are also, so why would I not support them?  I don't really ever have issues where I need help with them, but when I do call Skutt I always have quick help and excellent service.  Have 7 here in studio and know numerous people that own them at home or in other schools.  Seems everyone here always complains about the element setup in them, but seriously how often are you swapping elements?  Once a year, once every other year?  I swap elements all the time with the amount of abuse undergrads throw at my kilns and they are all nearing 20 years old, also with most of their original bricks until recently when I did a full rebuild on a few of them.  Sure it might be easier to pull out a rigid element holder to keep from messing up soft brick, but that hard element holder is going to soak up more energy than the soft brick would - making a less efficient use of the energy going into your work.  

As for those Advancers....drool....I would personally just stick with regular alumina shelves until you are ready for another big investment, since you're looking at investing in a kiln now.

someday I will get some, but man are they expensive.  Actually, I tried getting my studio some Advancers a year ago, but after talking with Marshall at SSFBS, he said they wouldn't work because of the way that we use full hard-brick to stack our kilns -- something about the thermal shock of the heat difference between where the shelf gets sandwiched between brick vs the areas not sandwiched.  Marshall sent me lots of info regarding these shelves and I can definitely see where they would excel and could potentially save lots of money in the long run if taken care of.  Unfortunately, it's hard to convince administrators that spending 3x the cost of something that's already expensive, will be worth it long-term (since our regular SiC shelves already end up around $125/ea for a 12" x 28" x 3/4")

#42 bciskepottery

bciskepottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:49 PM

Has anyone got the Bailey electric kiln? I'm looking at the 2327-10, just out of curiosity. 

I'm wondering what people's experiences are with this kiln. Are the elements easy to change? Pros and cons are appreciated.

Thanks!

I recall reading somewhere that Bailey electric kilns are made by Tucker Cone Art kilns. Could be wrong, but they sure look similar.

#43 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,834 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:36 PM

Just got 6 more 14x28 Corelite shelves for $48 each. Nice and light, although slightly thicker than my other shelves. I've been using a set of them for a year now with no warpage at all.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Kilns Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#44 Karen B

Karen B

Potter 1981-present

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:00 AM

Wondering if the corelite or advancer shelves heat and cool at a rate that is closer to the heating and cooling of the clay?

I have issues with this on standard shelves when firing large flat platters or tiles.Solutions have been previously discussed for raising platters off shelves, but not whether changing shelves will help.

#45 ShellHawk

ShellHawk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationFolsom, Ca

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:57 PM

Thanks!

As for those Advancers....drool....I would personally just stick with regular alumina shelves until you are ready for another big investment, since you're looking at investing in a kiln now.

Lol! It's funny how some folks drool over cars and jewelry and whatnot, and we drool over kilns and studio space! HA!

#46 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 3,059 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:57 PM

Wondering if the corelite or advancer shelves heat and cool at a rate that is closer to the heating and cooling of the clay?

I have issues with this on standard shelves when firing large flat platters or tiles.Solutions have been previously discussed for raising platters off shelves, but not whether changing shelves will help.

Look at the thermal conductivity number for the material the shelf is made out of.  That is a measure of how "fast" heat energy will tend to penetrate the shelf.  Look at the specific heat of the material the shelf is made out of.  That number indicates how much energy it takes to heat the shelf material itself up.  Look at the combination of specific heat and overall mass of one shelf relative to another to compare them.  That will tell you more about how much energy is going into the shelf to heat it up... or how it will tend to slow down the cooling.

best,

.......................john

John Baymore
Immediate Past President; Potters Council
Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

#47 Karen B

Karen B

Potter 1981-present

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:03 PM

Look at the thermal conductivity number for the material the shelf is made out of.  That is a measure of how "fast" heat energy will tend to penetrate the shelf.  Look at the specific heat of the material the shelf is made out of.  That number indicates how much energy it takes to heat the shelf material itself up.  Look at the combination of specific heat and overall mass of one shelf relative to another to compare them.  That will tell you more about how much energy is going into the shelf to heat it up... or how it will tend to slow down the cooling.

best,

.......................john

Thank you john.

#48 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,110 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:46 AM

I've been running an L&L now for over 30 years, and still find it doing well. Very little has needed replacement, and when it did L&L had the part to me in about 3 days. I am not an electrician, but a handy able to follow instructions kind of guy. The L&L's have proven easy to repair, and easy to fire.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#49 flowerdry

flowerdry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:37 PM

My L&L came with tons of information.  I was quite impressed and have read it all.  Some of it 2 or 3 times. (It's not age....I've always been that way..)

Doris Hackworth

"Promoting the joy of handmade pottery"

#50 ShellHawk

ShellHawk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationFolsom, Ca

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:50 AM

My L&L came with tons of information.  I was quite impressed and have read it all.  Some of it 2 or 3 times. (It's not age....I've always been that way..)

Me, too. But with age, it's not getting any better!  :D

#51 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,110 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:13 AM

Bailey has come in with an element holder in their high end kilns. These are fixed front loaders. They highlight the benefits of this ceramic element holder quite a bit in their info. They do not offer this in their top loaders. I believe there must be a copyright infringement deal with L&L, but that is only guessing.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#52 Brian Reed

Brian Reed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:14 AM

back to the original question.  I am sure people here will tell you I am wrong, but I would go to your clay supplier and ask them what they have that is cheap and on sale and get them at low a cost as possible.  I picked up many shelves from him that were odd balls and they are working fine.  then as you learn more spend the money on nicer shelves as they need replacing.  That is what I did and it is working out great.  sure shelves break and warp, but at 20-30  dollars a shelf no big loss.

Brian Reed

Throwing down in Washington State

http://www.reedpottery.com

Northwest Clay Club

#53 Mart

Mart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:50 PM

What is this huge red monstrosity, attached to Bailey's kilns? OK, I know, it's the relay etc box that gets hot too.
But why is it on the front of the kiln? Really awful design. Rohde moved all this stuff to the left-back side of the kiln so you can have better access to your kiln from the front. Hard wiring the controller to relay box is also really weird design decision. Never mind that...

Those Advancers made me drool too. :) Any idea, who imports Advancers shelves to EU?
BTW, you can get those from that damn China for less than 100 USD a pop, if you buy 30 or so shelves.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kiln shelves, electric kiln

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users