Ferric Chloride First Then Terra Sig Or Vice Versa?

SteveL

I've made some terra sig and am ready to apply it to my unfired bowl. I am also going to put some Ferric Chloride and Iron Oxide on the bowl as well and then barrel fire it in an aluminum foil saggar. My question is to get the the deeper reds from the Iron Oxide into the cracks and crevices of the surface of the bowl, what order should I apply the Ferric Chloride, Iron Oxide, and terra sigilatta? I'm tryin to achieve some depth as well as the nice warm look of the terra sig finish. Thanks

I have used this combination with a saggar firing. I always put the terra sig on first, burnished it, then added a graphic design with the Ferric Chloride and oxides. With my sgraffito surface designs, I was able to lift off the oxides, etc. on the surface to deepen the crevices. Can you post photos on here? I would love to see your results. I can also confirm with a barrel firing expert tomorrow at the studio. Best of luck!

I have never used the ferric chloride on greenware. Interesting. Do you bisque in an electric after it has been applied to the pot?

I have used ferric chloride by spraying it onto raku after the firing and before the reduction. Also used it in preparing pots for saggar firing . I have always bisque fired before applying it. I look forward to hearing more.

Marcia

• 2 weeks later...

Oh...I am sorry, Marcia: I did not include that I bisque fire, then add in ferric chloride, etc. So update as follows:

Greenware: terra sig, burnish, bisque in electric kiln (terra sig optional, too...aesthetic choice for shine and less porous clay)

Bisqueware: Then added a graphic design with wax resists, the Ferric Chloride (as a spray or brushing on) and oxides. Also option to create another thin wash of Terra Sig. With my sgraffito surface designs, I was able to lift off the oxides, etc. on the surface to deepen the crevices. New note: Suggestion from another artist at the studio....you could also create a patina look by using gerstley borate plus a selected colorant and apply in a thin wash over bisqued terra sigs - great for textures.

Steve's question sounded like he intended to put ferric chloride over or under the terra sig. I think putting it on before bisque firing would be a big mistake. That is why I wanted you to clarify. I am not certain but I would think the chloride burning off may do some damage in the electric kiln. Just my opinion.

Marcia

Archived