Ukrainian Slip Decorating...i Love Youtube!

I think there must be an additive to the underglaze, keeps its shine and fluidity a lot longer than the slips I make or buy.. any ideas on what that may be?  Glycerine? flocculant/deflocculant  of some sort??  Sodium silicate??

I can totally follow your train of thought on this but my common sense screams at me that This Is The Ukraine, among the poorest nations in Europe. I seriously don't think that they are going to add anything that ups the cost of production and stains for slip are more than enough overhead. Isn't stained slip cheaper than using glazes in the long run? These vids are of obvious production work in progress. Perhaps it's all in the clay and simply add water? They have apparently been doing this for centuries. I just think they are fascinating and like Clay Lover, I was inspired and wanted to spread the joy, so to speak.

I think there must be an additive to the underglaze, keeps its shine and fluidity a lot longer than the slips I make or buy.. any ideas on what that may be?  Glycerine? flocculant/deflocculant  of some sort??  Sodium silicate??

I can totally follow your train of thought on this but my common sense screams at me that This Is The Ukraine, among the poorest nations in Europe. I seriously don't think that they are going to add anything that ups the cost of production and stains for slip are more than enough overhead. Isn't stained slip cheaper than using glazes in the long run? These vids are of obvious production work in progress. Perhaps it's all in the clay and simply add water? They have apparently been doing this for centuries. I just think they are fascinating and like Clay Lover, I was inspired and wanted to spread the joy, so to speak.

My comments were just in awe, total knowledge of his art, eh?  Perhaps it's mid winter and everything stays wet for a long time in the Ukraine, Some additives cost nothing.. check out Marcia's raku specialties, urine is meant to hasten the aging of clay and so on.

I must admit my amazement at the Ukranian slip video...and have many more questions than answers.  I did note that he began the slip process on what appears to be a pretty green pot.  The solid layer of background slip looked to be very thick (thought that was brave to begin with) and then the layer upon layer technoque simply floored me!   I'm thinking that the key to this is that wet, first layer and moving quickly through the next steps.  It is pretty obvious that this wasn't the first time this artist did this...and I guarantee I'll not be making a video of my first stab at this technique :) But this is something worth experimentation.

Thanks for sharing.

BTW, does anyone else get started with one video on YouTube and then get 'sucked in' to watching multiple videos right after that??

BTW, does anyone else get started with one video on YouTube and then get 'sucked in' to watching multiple videos right after that??

Ha! I have to gouge my eyes and drag myself away! My "one" video is an actual average of 4-7 videos depending on how much time I have to waste. giggle.gif

...  I did note that he began the slip process on what appears to be a pretty green pot.  The solid layer of background slip looked to be very thick (thought that was brave to begin with) and then the layer upon layer technoque simply floored me!   I'm thinking that the key to this is that wet, first layer and moving quickly through the next steps. .....

I just watched again and on the first video the guy is throwing off the hump and it looked like the foot was cut upwards to make like a cupped foot. He also formed the spout while wet. I guess there'd be no way to reclaim that clay with all those colored slips on it if you messed that one up. 

Ha! I have to gouge my eyes and drag myself away! My "one" video is an actual average of 4-7 videos depending on how much time I have to waste. giggle.gif

I feel the need for a 'YouTube Addiction' support group...we'd just sit at our computers and say, "Hey, did you see the one about..." :)

Archived