• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Leslee

Leslee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:07 PM

This is a really silly question. I have been working with clay for years but just started making ornaments this year and I am having trouble with my clay curling up while its drying. I normally make small bowls, jewelry, beads and thrown pots years ago never had this problem before. I know I'm not the only one because my friend has the same trouble. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated?

#2 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 3,023 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:17 PM

I thought this topic was related to the coming winter Olympics. ;)

best,

..............john

John Baymore
Immediate Past President; Potters Council
Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

#3 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:30 PM

It sounds like a fast drying problem or a draft.
What type of shapes and clay are doing this?

Marcia

#4 Leslee

Leslee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:28 PM

Thank you Marcia, It is White low fire clay. Its pretty humid here in HI so it can take 3-4 days to dry. I was thinking of getting some boards and stacking them to keep it flat while drying.

Thinking about it my terracotta pieces don't seem to do it.

#5 Chris Campbell

Chris Campbell

clay stained since 1988

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:45 PM

I made thousands of ornaments at one time and had this problem with porcelain clay. I got the loss rate down by cutting the shape at right angles to the direction the clay went through the slab roller. If I forgot and cut them with the direction the clay fed through the rollers, the loss rate jumped again. I could find no other common denominator ... The way I dried them did not affect the results as much as the cutting direction.
Terra cotta is a much more forgiving clay body ... you can do almost anything to it and all is good.

Chris Campbell
Contemporary Fine Colored Porcelain
http://www.ccpottery.com/

https://www.facebook...88317932?ref=hl

TRY ...   FAIL ...  LEARN ...  REPEAT

#6 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:06 PM

If these are flat forms(cookie cutter stuff) dry them between a piece of sheet rock with board and weight on top.

I think its to late to stop this as a sport in the winter Olympics  this year but you can keep clay flat with the right handling.

Mark

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#7 Pugaboo

Pugaboo

Lifetime artist 2nd year potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationHelen, GA

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:18 PM

I made a lot of ornaments as well and this is how I do it. I use Little Loafers ^6 clay. When I roll it through the slab roller I flip AND rotate the clay 45degrees with each 1/4 inch adjustment in thickness. I then let it set up on the slab roller a bit before cutting out the shapes. I did a lot of snowflakes with a bunch of interior cutout designs (see the attached picture). Once I cut out the shapes I put them on drywall and then dropped the drywall with the ornaments on the floor from waist height. I then sandwich them between 2 pieces of drywall and allow them to dry slowly for a day or 2. Once they are dry enough not to flex at all, not bone dry but on the far end of leather hard I move them carefully to mesh shelves and allow them to dry the rest of the way there. I have no issues with cupping as they dry.

T

Attached Files

The world is but a canvas to the imagination - Henry David Thoreau

#8 Leslee

Leslee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:33 PM

Thank you all so much. These all make sense and I will do. I've never worked with paper clay but I might try it.

Two questions 1)you don't cover the drywall and the clay doesn't stick 2) do you tape the edges of the drywall to keep it shedding?

#9 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:40 PM

tape the edges of the dry wall. 2" duck tape is fast fix. I have 2 x 2 shelves on an old bakers rack. I put my slabs on 2' x2' or more drywall and slide them onto the shelves. The whole rack is wrapped with a heavy plastic. I live in humid South Gulf Coast Texas. But A/C is bad for clay because of uneven drafts.
Marcia

#10 Leslee

Leslee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:52 PM

This has been very helpful Mahalo!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users