• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 ChenowethArts

ChenowethArts

Senior Geek & Whimsical Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee - Where at least a few studios make something besides music.

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:02 AM

I'm still a clay-artist-in-training (aka hobby potter) that has a non-clay, full time job.  Nonetheless, I do have a pretty standard weekday routine:

• 4:00am Up, coffee, attempt to get work-out clothes on 'right-side-out' (matching socks optional)
  • 4:15am exercise (jog 3 days a week, weights/stretch on others...substitute more coffee for all of this on Saturday)
  • 5:00am cool-down, more coffee,fruit smoothie, quiet time, to-do' list, breathe
  • 5:30am Into studio...check for trim-ready stuff, throw some, trim some, wedge next day's clay, clean up
  • 7:30-11:00am Round One at office (break often includes CAD or art web browsing..but no more coffee)
  • 11:00-12:00pm Lunch - University clay lab 'fly-by'
  • 12:00-4;30pm Round Two at office
  • 4:30-5:30pm University clay lab - glazing, kiln-prep, some production work
  • 5:30pm Eat something that isn't 'growing' from 'fridge, watch TV news
  • 6:30-8:30pm Mostly handbuilding, carving, texturing, handle-attaching, close-up-bifocal work
  • 8:45pm Turn into Zombie/Pumpkin that crashes into bed

Weekends are much more studio intensive, depending  on how big/long the 'honey-do' list is from my lovely wife of 43 years..

Paul

Paul Chenoweth
Visit/Like me on Facebook
Connect on Twitter
Mostly Ceramics on Pinterest

#22 Denice

Denice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
  • LocationWichita, Kansas

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:29 AM

I don't start working until noon, it takes a while for my studio to warm up, so I just take care of personal and home buisness.  I've noticed that I don't work as much in the winter,  I think it's because of cold gray days and cold clay makes my hands hurt, I may have to start putting a heating pad on it.  Give me a bright sunny warm day, I'm out putting around by 7 and telling myself everything else can wait until tomorrow.  Denice

#23 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,110 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:48 PM

Right now I am being a wooos as the shop is just too dang cold, and the electric bill last month was enormous. I think I'll hold off until March.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#24 Evelyne Schoenmann

Evelyne Schoenmann

Ceramic Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland and Italy

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:17 AM

As with Pres, it is way too cold in my basement studio at them moment. I have a small heater (heat blower is more to the point) but the costs.... boy!! :o

In spring, summer and fall I work approx 6-8 hours/day in the studio. I long for springtime coming round the corner....!!!!

Evelyne

Evelyne Schoenmann
Studio: schoenmann ceramics
In love with alternative firing methods
www.schoenmann-ceramics.ch

#25 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 January 2014 - 03:52 PM

I was sitting here reading this blog this morning especially Mark Cortnoys, and  my wife called down the stairs and said: "Tom, don't you have to go to work?"

I guess I was so tired from reading his schedule, that I just zoned out.

My studio is warm, but it is so dark and cold out, that I can't get motivated to go in there and work. Still teaching high school during the day, so it is an after hours thing.

I will get going. Don't worry.

TJR.

#26 ChenowethArts

ChenowethArts

Senior Geek & Whimsical Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee - Where at least a few studios make something besides music.

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:26 AM

Right now I am being a wooos as the shop is just too dang cold, and the electric bill last month was enormous. I think I'll hold off until March.

I am still getting over the shock of my highest electric bill ever...and I wish I could say that was due to extra firing.  Unfortunately, I too am among the ranks of wimps who find no joy in working in a cold studio.  Is it too late to hibernate for the winter?

It may be time for small pinch pots in front of the fireplace :)

Paul Chenoweth
Visit/Like me on Facebook
Connect on Twitter
Mostly Ceramics on Pinterest

#27 Boats

Boats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 05 April 2014 - 01:07 PM

Reading your schedules reminds me of my past adventure in the jewelry business while maintaining full time a career.  I am exceedingly grateful that I do this for pure enjoyment, though I must say watching shelves become bare can be a fulfilling experience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users