Photo

Does Temperature Of Clay Matter When Throwing?

cold clay clay temperature

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:34 PM

O.K. I am reading this post in June. I know that it is a re-post of an older blog. I am still not getting why you would wear a helmet.
Any ideas?
Don't say for motorcycling.
TJR.

Errr . . . you were the one who suggested wearing a helmet. We're hoping you can tell the rest of us. But, it was a long, cold winter.

Actually, the original poster is the one, who mentioned the helmet.  Maybe they were referring to how the clay might explode, when they use the microwave to warm it, and the helmet would protect them from a catastrophic explosion???

"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#22 bciskepottery

bciskepottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:58 PM

O.K. I am reading this post in June. I know that it is a re-post of an older blog. I am still not getting why you would wear a helmet.
Any ideas?
TJR.

Errr . . . you were the one who suggested wearing a helmet. We're hoping you can tell the rest of us. But, it was a long, cold winter.

Actually, the original poster is the one, who mentioned the helmet.  Maybe they were referring to how the clay might explode, when they use the microwave to warm it, and the helmet would protect them from a catastrophic explosion???

And you're right. My apologies to TJR.

As for the helmet, maybe to protect the noggin from the spouse's frying pan (iron, of course) after finding out you've nuked the microwave with your clay.

#23 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:41 PM

Does it matter what temperature clay is when throwing. I'm not talking about frozen clay, here.

But does clay tend to stiffen when it is cold? Is there a good temperature range to stay in . My basement shop gets down in to the high 40's at night, and some of my clay (right out of the bag) seems a little hard. OK, another dumb question:  If I DO need to warm it a bit, can I nuke it? I don't mean on high for  an hour, but just for real short intervals? Should I wear a helmet?

O.k. This was the original question. "Should I wear a helmet." Would that be for nuking the clay in a micro wave?

I don't usually wear a helmet when I microwave stuff, but I have never microwaved clay. I wouldn't recommend microwaving it-the clay that is.

TJR.

#24 TJR

TJR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:42 PM

Any ideas?
TJR.

As for the helmet, maybe to protect the noggin from the spouse's frying pan (iron, of course) after finding out you've nuked the microwave with your clay.

No! You have nuked the clay with the microwave!

This is getting silly1

#25 bciskepottery

bciskepottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:18 PM

Any ideas?
TJR.

No! You have nuked the clay with the microwave!
This is getting silly1

I use some very iron and manganese rich clay bodies, Standard 266, Laguna Dark Brown, so my clay would likely nuke the microwave with its metal content. Summer is for silly.

#26 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,571 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:56 PM

You think microwaving in your manganese wares is bad Bruce, what about the uranium based glazes on the Fiestaware?
"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users