5 replies to this topic

#1 Teags

Teags

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:01 PM

Theres a spray booth at the studio where I work. However, I would love to hear if anyone has had success using an atomizer or hand sprayer. I would be using it to get a light coat of clear glaze over plates. It would save a lot of time and cleaning:) thanks!

#2 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 12 December 2013 - 03:27 PM

nothing beats a spray booth for best results.

Mark

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#3 clay lover

clay lover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:47 PM

No, sorry , not if you want nice even coats of glaze.

#4 GEP

GEP

Moderator / full time potter ^6 stoneware

• Moderators
  • 850 posts
  • LocationSilver Spring, MD

Posted 12 December 2013 - 05:32 PM

I use a mouth-blown sprayer like the one in Norm's link. It's nice for applying accents of glaze. But not for glazing an entire pot. Unless you are a marathon runner :-)

Mea Rhee
Good Elephant Pottery
http://www.goodelephant.com

#5 Julie

Julie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Locationnorth Georgia

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:39 PM

I can let you know from my experience in just trying to do some blending(another color overlap a color) you will be very light headed trying to use an atomizer to cover clear glaze. I am serious. Even with a hand sprayer, hand will  get sore and the sprayer will clog unless you have found something spectacular and will spray out equally each spray, it can clog, clump be uneven. Yes speaking from experience. try it and test it. that is the best way to see if you get the covered you expect or you might get a big great surprise.

#6 Celia UK

Celia UK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationCambridge, England

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:55 AM

I recently bought a Paintec spray gun as I wanted to spray over accents of oxides applied with a hobby air brush)with transparent glaze and wanted the oxides to stay put. It was a cheap option compared to the expense of an air compressor and it worked pretty well, but took a lot of pumping to get a thick enough cover. There's a YouTube clip showing it in use - put 'Paintec Spray Gun' in the search engine. However, if I had access to a spray booth, I'd definitely go for that.

Any other suggestions for keeping oxide accents in place under transparent glaze, would be welcome. Dipping & pouring move it around - is re firing the only option? Can the oxides be sprayed on OVER the glaze?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Glaze, spray, atomizer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users