#1 docweathers

docweathers

Gismo Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • LocationSpokane Wa

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:07 PM

Attached is a picture of my latest attempt at a glazed depth measuring device. I zero the depth gauge out to the tips of the X-Acto knife blades. When I push the blades into glaze the plunger rests on the surface of the glaze. If the glaze is dry I can just let the spring-loaded push the plunger to the glaze. If it's damp, I have to gently let the plunger just touch the surface of the glaze. The readout gives me the glaze thickness. It seems to work quite nicely.

Attached Files

Larry

Lawrence Weathers

Gismo Guy

Welded Sculpture
Pottery
Spokane WA

#2 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 3,059 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:13 PM

Nice job.... similar in concept to the industrial units.

best,

...................john

John Baymore
Immediate Past President; Potters Council
Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

#3 Wyndham

Wyndham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • LocationSeagrove NC

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:56 AM

Where did you get the depth gage, ebay, harbor freight?

I'd like to make one for my crystalline glazes.

Wyndham

#4 docweathers

docweathers

Gismo Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • LocationSpokane Wa

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:28 PM

I bought the depth gauge on eBay. It is called  "0-16" Electronic Digital Indicator / Depth Gage"  from anytimeparts. It costs $24.95 with free shipping.  There are some similar looking ones for $7 to $15 for measuring tread depth but I don't think they are accurate enough.

Larry

Larry

Lawrence Weathers

Gismo Guy

Welded Sculpture
Pottery
Spokane WA

#5 jrgpots

jrgpots

The hands can express the soul

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • LocationHurricane, Utah

Posted 12 December 2013 - 01:03 AM

Give us a step-by-step breakdown of its construction.

Jed

#6 docweathers

docweathers

Gismo Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • LocationSpokane Wa

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:35 PM

Making this gizmo is pretty simple.

Where you see the screws there where originally two smaller screws that held the cover plate and tapped into the plastic body. I did not trust the tapping into the plastic body so I drilled both holes out slightly for  screws that would go all the way through and I could put a washer and nut on the other side.  You then have to drill the holes in the thin metal cover plate and bore holes in the little metal strip that align with the ones in the cover plate and plastic body. Use very small screws so that you do not completely remove the plastic tube that the original screws tapped into.

Insert two screws through your little metal strip, the cover plate and the plastic body. Make sure they are long enough to go all the way through and have some extra for the nut, washer and the thickness of the X-Acto knife blades. Put the washers and nuts on the backside of the screws and leave them loose. Insert the two number 11 X-Acto knife blades between the original cover plate and your little metal strip. Push the blades all the way back against the black housing. Tighten vigorously.

To 0 it to the points, press the two points and the plunger against a hard surface. Push the 0 on the controls

Attached is a picture of the backside.

Larry

Attached Files

Larry

Lawrence Weathers

Gismo Guy

Welded Sculpture
Pottery
Spokane WA

#7 jrgpots

jrgpots

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • LocationHurricane, Utah

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:27 AM

Thank you very much. I will make one.

Jed

#8 docweathers

docweathers

Gismo Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • LocationSpokane Wa

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:55 PM

after using my tool of the longer and talking some more with John Tilton, he suggested adding a third X-Acto knife blade. This helps make sure that you have the tool square to the surface of the glaze. A slight tilt can alter the reading a little bit.

I should also give John credit for the original inspiration. I liked his $300+ starette depth gage based measuring tool but was unwilling to fork over that kind of cash. I'm sure mine is not quite as accurate as his but how many decimal places make a difference with pottery glaze?

Attached is a picture of this upgrade. To implement it, you just need a little larger washer and one more X-Acto knife blade

Larry

Lawrence Weathers

Gismo Guy

Welded Sculpture
Pottery
Spokane WA

#9 docweathers

docweathers

Gismo Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • LocationSpokane Wa

Posted 23 December 2013 - 07:55 PM

after using my tool of the longer and talking some more with John Tilton, he suggested adding a third X-Acto knife blade. This helps make sure that you have the tool square to the surface of the glaze. A slight tilt can alter the reading a little bit.

I should also give John credit for the original inspiration. I liked his $300+ starette depth gage based measuring tool but was unwilling to fork over that kind of cash. I'm sure mine is not quite as accurate as his but how many decimal places make a difference with pottery glaze?

Attached is a picture of this upgrade. To implement it, you just need a little larger washer and one more X-Acto knife blade

Attached Files

Larry

Lawrence Weathers

Gismo Guy

Welded Sculpture
Pottery
Spokane WA

#10 jrgpots

jrgpots

• Members
  • PipPipPip