Photo

How Do You Figure Out How Much To Bring To A Show?

pottery shows art fairs

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 clay lover

clay lover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:12 AM

It depends. I find that every show is different. Some shows provide tables that we use, but often as not, the size table doesn't work well with our display. I have 2x4 folding tables because the smaller size lets me arrange to suit the need.
At shows that don't have pipes and drapes I carry a white curtain to drop down behind my shelves to give a visual backdrop for the work, and to offset the darkness of the usual dark color drapes. I also hang a banner above the tall shelves that can be seen from across the room. That help to define the space.
I try for side arrangements that are vertical, eye high, large plates on stand, etc. It keeps the shopper from looking through the pots to the next booth. It gives a cleaner look. Hope this is what you were asking about.

#22 nancylee

nancylee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:46 AM

Thanks, clay lover!! Yes, that helps a lot!! I am trying to picture how to do this from what I have seen so far.

Nancy

Nancy
Northern Woods Pottery
www.northernwoodsstudio.blogspot.com

#23 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 17 December 2013 - 11:51 PM

This is my booth two weekends ago in Tempe Az-during that cold snap nationwide.

Its a double corner booth and it does not fit into a SUV-but my van can hold a SUV along with a few pots if needed.

It barely fits into a one ton extended 2010 Chevy express Van which is my pottery rig

This was my 21st year at this show-twice a year for 41 shows at this venue.

This amount of pottery with backstock is about 75 bannana boxes

I sell somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of it.

This show is 1,200 miles from my home one way.

I only do a few double booths per year as they are much more work and I need help with the sales at a double.

I'm a potter who sells pots for a fair price and they really sell well so I need to bring many.

If your work is more one of a kind special then you will need less-you will see this right away depending on price points.

If I sell 500 spoonrests I better have 600 with me right or I will not know the limits-at this show I sold 450 spoonrests and took 550.

For me doulbe booths make sense at my larger shows(3 )-most shows I have a single or a few are booth and 1/2 (2 of my 7 total shows are that way now)

All these these shelves fold flat and I can pack this booth and drive away in less than two hours

I keep about 10 boxes for backstock behind the booth and pay for this space as well and my van is within a 2 minute walk for more backstock. 

When you start out at shows take as much as you can as you will not know what will sell.

Fill your booth -keep some more handy and see what happens.

Mark

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#24 nancylee

nancylee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:48 AM

Hi,
Everything I make is functional, except for some Windchimes and ornaments.

Mark, your displays always amaze me! You bring so much, and have such packed displays! Like Christmas morning! How many hours a week do you work at your pottery? It blows me away how much you being?

Thank you, all for your generous sharing. You all have great displays that fit well with your work.

Best,
Nancy
Nancy
Northern Woods Pottery

#25 clay lover

clay lover

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:58 AM

Remember, you can't sell what you didn't bring.

Making multiples helps a lot with this and makes for a tidy display.

#26 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,020 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:42 PM

Penn State Summer Festival had a going number discussed by all of the Craftspeople-$10K in stock to do the show. It was always tough for me to get that ready, even though I started after the show, and worked until it got too cold in the shop, then started up again in the Spring. Teaching school and doing a major show like that did not really work too well, but I did it for 7 years.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#27 nancylee

nancylee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:37 AM

Pres,
I applied to that show, but I heard it is tough to get into, so I am not counting on it. I make simple, functional pottery, and some fun Windchimes and ornaments. I gathered they wanted something with more style than my stuff.
Nancy
Nancy
Northern Woods Pottery

#28 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,814 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:32 AM

Penn state show? Nancy you are the wrong sex to do the show only young men allowed-you need to watch more news.

OK only kidding-Penn state is overcoming the big black cloud I'm sure.

Mark

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#29 nancylee

nancylee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:57 PM

Mark, you are bad!!!! Took me a second to figure that one out!! I was thinking Duke scandal for a second. 

Nancy

Nancy
Northern Woods Pottery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users