#21 ParaNi

ParaNi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationEast Hemet, California

Posted 11 December 2013 - 11:48 PM

New to clay so baby question

So I don't have to worry about clay freezing and killing whatever bacteria keeps it plastic? It becomes viable again?

#22 nancylee

nancylee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:56 AM

My husband and I are insulating the cottage for me, and I really want a propane stove that looks like a little fireplace, because it can keep the studio a constant temp, but they are around $1200, so I don't think that is on the list this year. I can put a small wood burning stove in there for about $250, but it will get cold at night. Should I keep boxed, new clay in the house? How about the clay I have to wedge? Can that freeze without hurting it? 

Thanks! I live about 2 hours south of Canada in NY, the coldest we get is about 35 below F, but that is just a few days a year. It is usually a balmy -10 for a lot of the winter. :)

Nancy

Nancy
Northern Woods Pottery
www.northernwoodsstudio.blogspot.com

#23 irenepots

irenepots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationJersey Shore

Posted 13 November 2016 - 08:28 AM

Hi everyone.  I feel like a sissy after reading about some of your studio temps.  Brrr.

I'm trying to figure out how to keep clay from freezing in my garage studio.  Since it doesn't get below 32 here that often would a space blanket without a light bulb under it be enough during a cold snap?  I don't trust an electric space heater out there overnight.  Cement floor gets really cold, so if I put the clay up on a wood platform first and then drape something over?  Or do I need the lightbulb too?  Thanks for your ideas and experience

#24 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, MSU-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,775 posts
  • LocationBrownsville, Texas

Posted 13 November 2016 - 09:19 AM

When I had a studio in upstate NY in the 70s, I used a little antique kerosene heater for overnight. Otherwise I used the wood stove during the day. That kept the clay from freezing.

Marcia Selsor, Professor Emerita,
Montana State University-Billings

Marcia Selsor Studio in Brownsville, Texas.

http://www.marciaselsorstudio.com

#25 Stephen

Stephen

novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 12:31 PM

I havw run an electric heater with therm set for around 40 in my travel trailer for years with no problems. It is usually off during the day but runs most night. Doesnt seem to be any riskier than running on inside. the new ones are pretty safe and turn off if they fall over. Also for for about 200 I installed a shop heater from an online place in our 600' garagio which is also therm controled, works great.

#26 Magnolia Mud Research

Magnolia Mud Research

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 13 November 2016 - 05:18 PM

Has a cup of water on a table in your garage ever frozen?  If not you don't need to do anything to keep it from freezing. 

Keeping in on the floor away from an outside wall will probably be all you need.  The concrete floor has a large thermal mass and will help keep the clay from freezing. 

LT

#27 snoopdog6502

snoopdog6502

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationWalla Walla , Washington

Posted 14 November 2016 - 01:59 AM

One reason I have been wanting to get into ceramics and pottery is I'm a Lampworker who works glass with torches.
Winter is horrible, one side of you is scorching hot and the other side freezing.
In order to run a torch safely you have to have high powered exhaust systems to remove fumes, you need fresh intake air so its not possible to stay warm, its like working in a blast freezer.

The idea of having a big kiln or two running is wonderful. Out here in eastern Washington state our weather does not get too intense.
Its November 13th and I have not turned the heater on in my house. Id like to see snow, last year we got a couple inches. :(

#28 irenepots

irenepots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationJersey Shore

Posted 14 November 2016 - 10:52 AM

One reason I have been wanting to get into ceramics and pottery is I'm a Lampworker who works glass with torches.
Winter is horrible, one side of you is scorching hot and the other side freezing.
In order to run a torch safely you have to have high powered exhaust systems to remove fumes, you need fresh intake air so its not possible to stay warm, its like working in a blast freezer.

The idea of having a big kiln or two running is wonderful. Out here in eastern Washington state our weather does not get too intense.
Its November 13th and I have not turned the heater on in my house. Id like to see snow, last year we got a couple inches. :(

That sounds like a pretty harsh way to have fun.  I'd love to see some of your work, I'm not sure exactly what it means to be a lamp worker.  Is it your day job too?   I could never do what you do - I'd burn the place down on the first day.  If you're ready to switch to pottery, I highly recommend it.  I'm completely obsessed.  Or you could pot in the winter and lampwork in the more cooperative seasons?  

#29 graybeard

graybeard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 07:37 PM

I got lucky at a garage sale and found a Rubbermaid storage locker, something like this.

http://www.rubbermai...m-vertical-shed(<---link)

It's double walled and a small (very small) electric space heater is all it takes to keep the
Temp in the 50 (f) I keep my clay and glaze in it all winter. (about the only really good
Idea I had that year)

graybeard

#30 porcelainbyAntoinette

porcelainbyAntoinette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationSaltillo Mississippi

Posted 16 November 2016 - 11:00 AM

If you have electricity this is the answer........

http://www.envi-heat.com/

#31 irenepots

irenepots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationJersey Shore

Posted 16 November 2016 - 08:46 PM

Both those ideas sound really good.    Antoinette, do you use this heater?  Any idea what it costs to run?  My son-in-law has an idea about lining a big cardboard box with those foam insulation sheets.  I think the best thing would be to drop it over the clay.  Graybeard, how is your stuff arranged in that locker?  Is the clay stacked on the bottom and glaze on shelves?

#32 graybeard

graybeard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 08:07 PM

Hi irenepots,

Yup, the really neat thing is that the sides and floor are double walled with about a 3/4' dead air
space I run the space heater on low and I can't remember ever seeing the temp below 50/52 degrees.
I really like the setup for keeping my glazes organized (im about as UN-organized as a person can get)
I bought a dial thermometer drilled a hole through the door.... well you get where Im going

Good luck

graybeard

#33 irenepots

irenepots

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationJersey Shore

Posted 02 December 2016 - 08:08 AM

Nice little reverse refrigerator graybeard.  

Coldest it's been so far out there today, but I'm finding my little space heater is keeping me warm.  I have a bisque running too so it ought to be toasty in there at some point today, even with the door cracked for air for the vent and so my dogs can get in an out.  Only problem is the heater blows the gfci sometimes, (the line has an outdoor plug on it)   Waiting for the electrician to run me a regular outlet but still, so far so good.  

#34 ronfire

ronfire

Ronfire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationMerritt BC Canada

Posted Yesterday, 10:56 AM

Well the cold is about to happen next week with -17c or 1.4F.  Sure like the wood stove in the shop. I don't think the shop will freeze much as there the concrete wall is 6' high along the back and 1/2 way along the 40'side and the shop has 6" insulation.  Plan on keeping the clay against the concrete wall at the base for when we go away for a few months. Hope it will not freeze there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users