• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Nat

Nat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:11 AM

Hiya, just wondering if anyone could tell me how to get the speckling/dotted effect as shown on the beads in the image attached. Ilmenite? Or something else?  Thank you! :)

Attached Files

#2 Wyndham

Wyndham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • LocationSeagrove NC

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:24 AM

Either a clay body w/specks of manganese dioxide or a glaze w/ilmenite.

Wyndham

#3 jrgpots

jrgpots

The hands can express the soul

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • LocationHurricane, Utah

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:59 PM

I added scoria dust, lava cinder dust, to Laguna half and half clay body.  part of the clay is glazed with clear. another is glazed with Laguna oatmeal glaze for comparison to the speckle in the clay.  I used scoria dust sieved to 40 mesh.  I kind of like the speckle effect.  since I live on a cinder cone it's free.

Jed

Attached Files

#4 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 991 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:46 PM

whose beads are they?  could you ask the maker?  i used a clay with manganese in it for several years.  this does not look like the clay is providing the dark specks.  they appear to be raised above the glaze surface.

"putting you down does not raise me up."

#5 Bob Coyle

Bob Coyle

GEEZER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:20 PM

Laguna clay makes a clay body called "speckled buff" that looks kind of like this when glazed. Not sure what they put in it. I was guessing iron pyrite but ???

#6 fergusonjeff

fergusonjeff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:40 AM

The Laguna Speckled Buff (WC-403, cone 6) is my favorite.  The speckles are from manganese.  I am trying to convince my main supplier to carry it without having to special order.  The speckles show through most glazes, and tend to move with the glaze. The photo above does not look quite right for 403.

#7 Denice

Denice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • LocationWichita, Kansas

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:04 AM

It looks like the specks have been added on top of the glaze, several ways of doing that. all fairly tedious but do able.  First you would have to test and find compatible glazes and then find which method of application works best.   Denice

#8 Bob Coyle

Bob Coyle

GEEZER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:37 PM

the speckles look pretty big, but the picture is blown up. attached is what Speckled Buff looks like after firing...

PS sorry for the resolution of the picture... it looks OK at about half the size

Attached Files

#9 Davidpotter

Davidpotter

Determined Young Buck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationCambridge, Wisconsin

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:22 AM

i have seen people actually speckle with different glazes with the special stiff bristle tools that flick the clay or just a tooth brush. its a good way to get some interesting designs. for larger areas i have heard of using a sprayer

Practice, practice, practice. Then when you think you've practiced enough, the real practice begins.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users