Kiln Shelves Too Large?

One of my neighbors who is just starting clay bought a small kiln that arrived yesterday, they immediatly wanted to fire it and asked my advice. When I looked at the kiln, the shelves are so large that they almost touch the inner sides of the kiln. A tight enough fit that it was hard to lower them into the kiln with much finger room to hold them. They were a package that came with the kiln, a well respected brand.

I was reluctant to advise, but this looks like a problem to me. What do you guys think?

• 3 weeks later...

One of my neighbors who is just starting clay bought a small kiln that arrived yesterday, they immediatly wanted to fire it and asked my advice. When I looked at the kiln, the shelves are so large that they almost touch the inner sides of the kiln. A tight enough fit that it was hard to lower them into the kiln with much finger room to hold them. They were a package that came with the kiln, a well respected brand.

I was reluctant to advise, but this looks like a problem to me. What do you guys think?

I'm guessing that the furniture kit is for a 2 1/2 wall kiln, and your friend's kiln has 3" walls.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA

ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

Archived