I like the results Marcia.. beautiful.

#42 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,067 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:31 AM

Marcia, Bob and Dale, Love the surfaces! They have so much going on that anything more than the understated forms would be a "Tower of Babel"

Back in the 70's my school had a forced air gas incinerator in  the basement. A colleague of mine would put pieces in large tin cans sealed up than put them into the incinerator when they were getting ready to fire. We would pack them with all sorts of wood shavings from the wood shops on the opposite hall. These we would soak in anything we could come up with from industrial cleaning solutions to chemicals from the chem department sulfates and hydrates were often included.  We were just experimenting, but  did get an occasional neat piece.   A few years later a new fire chief came in inspecting all of the schools and forced closure of the incinerator.  Funny, he claimed my Ceramics studio safer than the Science department! They got new money out of that!

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#43 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:45 AM

Marcia: I like the soft, gray touch of your new pieces. Congrats on the success.

Hmmmm, I always wanted to try the foil saggars too in an electric kiln, but was a bit hesitant because of the fumes. I think I'll wait a bit longer...

Babs: thanks bunches for the recipe. I'am sure summer will come along some day....

Beyond Wax Resist

This guy uses foil saggars in his electric kiln and writes that it has no or little illl effects.

I discovered this link form the post on Elmers Glue as a resist so thanks to whoever posted it there. Matt Oz.

#44 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,988 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:09 PM

Lastest results from yesterday's firing
http://community.cer...il-sagger-pots/

http://community.cer...ll-foil-sagger/
I think the center white one is really intriguing

http://community.cer...roupof5sm-copy/

I keep firing and adding chemicals until I am satisfied with the results. I fired a few three times yesterday.
Marcia

#45 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:53 PM

Lastest results from yesterday's firing
http://community.cer...il-sagger-pots/

http://community.cer...ll-foil-sagger/
I think the center white one is really intriguing

http://community.cer...roupof5sm-copy/

I keep firing and adding chemicals until I am satisfied with the results. I fired a few three times yesterday.
Marcia

All exquisite, love the paler central one in first link.

#46 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,988 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:38 AM

This process is so fascinating , it is like magic. I am having fun doing this.Some chemicals lighten or belch the previous chemical. Really will take a while to master.

Marcia

#47 Bob Coyle

Bob Coyle

GEEZER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:29 AM

Some chemicals lighten or belch the previous chemical. Really will take a while to master.

I have found that if you brush copper citrate solution into areas where there is ferric chloride, you get an interesting bleaching effect where they meet. I am  trying to fine tune this so I can get it reproducibly. I think that the ferric chloride needs to dry some before you add the copper citrate.

The attached photo is an example of the effect.

Another interesting effect I found, was that some of the copper citrate that is not completely oxidized, will react with water to give an interesting greenish grey color.

Attached Files

#48 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:42 PM

Marcia would you post a pic of your foil saggar as I want to try this in my electric kiln, like the post above.

#49 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,988 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:21 AM

Not quite sure what you mean..foil sag gars in the kiln?
pictures of pots wrapped in foil?

Marcia

#50 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,988 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:25 AM

Bob, epsom salt also bleaches out the color of the previous layer.
Babs, here is a picture of a loaded kiln. The bear pots was from something else and I was cleaning it up.If you do this in an electric kiln, really wrap the foil tight so it doesn't let fumes escape.
Marcia

Attached Files

#51 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:28 PM

Wow, like baked potatoes! Thought that the saggars would have to be like little boxes!

I think I can do that!, The wrapping I'm writing about!

Thanks.

#52 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,988 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:58 AM

use a double layer of heavy duty foil. compress over the surface of the pots.These are fired to 1150 to 1400. Watch the foil as it fired.Try not to over fire the foil. It will get dull and can puff up. Stop at that point or sooner. That could be hard to determine in an electric kiln.

Marcia

#53 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:53 PM

Thanks Marcia, I'll do a temp conversion to Centigrade and then ponder for a time! Do have hte remnants of my old gas kiln in the yard so..... wait till I have a couple of weeks "free" and then work on it.

#54 stonefly

stonefly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationWyoming

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:58 PM

Marcia, those textured Obveras are blowing my mind.  I've come back to look through your images again four times now since yesterday (And I'm supposed to be working!!)  What is it that makes the belly of the pot lighter than the foot and rim in such a lovely gradation?  Is that happening from the "dunk in the soup" or have you applied something to the pot to encourage that color shift?  They are just breathtaking - I'd never heard of "obvera" before - now I'm googling it all night!  (Is there a book I should buy?)

Thanks for sharing - so inspirational!

Cristy in WY

#55 stonefly

stonefly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationWyoming

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:26 PM

Whoops!  I found the obvera thread!  Sorry - not for the gushing, but for spouting off before reading thoroughly.  I'll go read that one, but the gushing and adoration still apply!

:wub:

#56 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,988 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:47 PM

Thanks Christy. I threw some small ones today. I want to bring some to NCECA to trade with some friends.
The gradation is from the cooling of the soup. It is an amazing "right before your eyes" process.
Janice Chassier is going to give a lecture on her research in Eastern Europe of the Obvara Process.
Marcia

#57 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,988 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:53 AM

Here are pictures of my chemically treated bisqued pots that were post fired with only a propane torch. Though I am first to admit they are not anywhere near Marcia's'.

They were treated with ferric chloride ( made by reacting clean steel wool with muriatic acid and evaporating til concentrated) and copper citrate ( made by reacting copper carbonate with citric acid.).  The copper citrate has the advantage of not soaking in to the clay so much as copper sulphate. It gives a pretty green cast rather than just grey or black.

Oh yeah.. I also am trying horse hair. with mixed results.  Anyone know the sectet of how to keep it from rolling up into a single ball?

Saggar... what saggar?... I don't need no stinking saggar!

P.S Norm. Have you tried iorn oxalate... I have been thinking that might help the Fe stay on the surface so that you would not need so much to get a deep red.

These are pieces I colored using iron sulphate and a torch. The pedestals were not clay.

Attached Files

#58 Bob Coyle

Bob Coyle

GEEZER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:32 PM

Wow Marcia! I'm impressed. That's a lot of torch firing. Maybe you need to graduate to a weed burner. :)

#59 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,988 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:03 AM

These are foil sag gars from yesterday.I am taking a few to trade at NCECA.

Marcia

Attached Files

#60 Evelyne Schoenmann

Evelyne Schoenmann

Ceramic Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland and Italy

Posted 18 March 2014 - 12:14 PM

Marcia, are you taking a few to La Meridiana to trade with me?? :)

Evelyne Schoenmann
Studio: schoenmann ceramics
In love with alternative firing methods
www.schoenmann-ceramics.ch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users