#1 Bette

Bette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationMorgan Hill, California

Posted 01 December 2013 - 02:08 PM

What do you use for gift boxes & where do you buy materials? I would like a supply of brown corrugated recycle boxes in assorted sizes for mugs, tumbler sets, bowls etc. and prefer not to buy and store batches of 100 each size.

#2 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,745 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:39 PM

I use all recycled boxs and packing stuff-You get it free at stores and markets

That's for all shipping and packing

I do not have or use gift boxes.

If you have a customer that wants a nice box you can buy them from U-line or Tharco-both sell recycled material in box form.

Mark

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#3 Bob Coyle

Bob Coyle

GEEZER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:15 PM

I use re-cycled materials for packing, but I have read in a couple of places (CM for one) that this creates a negative impression on buyers. so I at least went from used super market shopping bags to new colorful bags to put my pots in. All the rest is re-cycle bubble pack... peanuts.. etc.

#4 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 1,991 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:58 PM

As I have stated before, for my small amount of shipping, I use popped popcorn to ship in. This in single layer boxes with compression of popcorn around bubble wrapped pots. The pieces I ship are usually chalices and patens(plates). If anything were to break, the stem of the chalices is really weak. In twenty years of me packing-not lost a one sending USPS. My son packed for me when I was away one year, I lost 70%! He didn't compress! Luckily I always keep backups.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#5 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:27 PM

No gift boxes, but I use brown paper bags with a handle that I get from Uline, which is only a couple of miles from my shop. Recyclable. I stamp my shop logo on them. For shipping I get corrugated cardboard boxes from Uline- much cheaper than office supply stores, but you have to buy 25 or so at a time. I re-use packing peanuts from incoming shipments, but when I run out I get corn starch packing peanuts, also from Uline.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#6 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 1,991 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:31 AM

I just sent out the first of my orders for this year, Packed in popcorn and bubble wrap, Seems the new rules under USPS give an automatic $50 insurance on shipping when priority. Standard and priority post are often the same price for shipping to some areas so it is a no brainer.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#7 NFallon

NFallon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:46 PM

I have been lurking on this site for about a year...but have been reading Ceramic Daily for a few years. I decided today was a good day to make a profile and post a comment. I ship using new boxes from Uline. I use the double box method...meaning the piece being shipped is inside a box that is inside another, larger box. What I felt compelled to state was that I use recycled egg cartons that I acquire from a friendly restaurant. They are light weight and easily cut to fit the form and boxes. I've never had anything break since I have used this method. Cheers.(pardon the brevity or grammer errors...posting from my cell phone)...Neil

#8 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 2,911 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:12 AM

Neil... welcome to posting, if not the forums as a whole. :)

Great suggestion.  I am assuming here that you use the egg carton material as the separator material between the inside box and the outside box to "float" it in the center ofthat 3-dimensional space.  Yes /no?

best,

......................john

John Baymore
Immediate Past President; Potters Council
Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

#9 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 1,991 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:19 PM

Welcome to the  forum Neil.

#10 NFallon

NFallon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:33 PM

Hi John, Pres,

The egg cartons do act as a float for the inner box. But I also cut the cartons to create packaging around the item in the inner box to float it as well in the carton material. If I have a lid or other lose item, I wrap this in foam or more standard shipping material. Home Depot and others have cheap 6" wide sill insulation material in rolls that I buy to wrap lids and the like.

Thanks for the welcome.......Neil

#11 Seasoned Warrior

Seasoned Warrior

Businessman - Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:38 PM

Much like Pres, I like popped pop corn! Can't get much more natural than that, just don't use Canola to pop it with. Read what Canadian Oil is!

#12 High Bridge Pottery

High Bridge Pottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNewcastle Upon Tyne. England

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:06 PM

I am going to have to find my parents old popcorn machine.

Pres, by compress do you just mean stuff as much in as possible then push down and continue till happy?

1384226_215924051918490_1181728069_n.jpg

#13 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 1,991 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:38 AM

Yes, I usually peak the box 3-4 inches above and then fold down the sides pushing until box is fitted as normal. Tape across the middle, and down the sides. Popcorn compresses really well. I dry pop the corn-no oil.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users