#1 Bette

Bette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationMorgan Hill, California

Posted 01 December 2013 - 02:08 PM

What do you use for gift boxes & where do you buy materials? I would like a supply of brown corrugated recycle boxes in assorted sizes for mugs, tumbler sets, bowls etc. and prefer not to buy and store batches of 100 each size.

#2 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:39 PM

I use all recycled boxs and packing stuff-You get it free at stores and markets

That's for all shipping and packing

I do not have or use gift boxes.

If you have a customer that wants a nice box you can buy them from U-line or Tharco-both sell recycled material in box form.

Mark

Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

#3 Bob Coyle

Bob Coyle

GEEZER

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:15 PM

I use re-cycled materials for packing, but I have read in a couple of places (CM for one) that this creates a negative impression on buyers. so I at least went from used super market shopping bags to new colorful bags to put my pots in. All the rest is re-cycle bubble pack... peanuts.. etc.

#4 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 1,993 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:58 PM

As I have stated before, for my small amount of shipping, I use popped popcorn to ship in. This in single layer boxes with compression of popcorn around bubble wrapped pots. The pieces I ship are usually chalices and patens(plates). If anything were to break, the stem of the chalices is really weak. In twenty years of me packing-not lost a one sending USPS. My son packed for me when I was away one year, I lost 70%! He didn't compress! Luckily I always keep backups.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#5 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:27 PM

No gift boxes, but I use brown paper bags with a handle that I get from Uline, which is only a couple of miles from my shop. Recyclable. I stamp my shop logo on them. For shipping I get corrugated cardboard boxes from Uline- much cheaper than office supply stores, but you have to buy 25 or so at a time. I re-use packing peanuts from incoming shipments, but when I run out I get corn starch packing peanuts, also from Uline.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#6 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 1,993 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 10 April 2014 - 09:31 AM

I just sent out the first of my orders for this year, Packed in popcorn and bubble wrap, Seems the new rules under USPS give an automatic $50 insurance on shipping when priority. Standard and priority post are often the same price for shipping to some areas so it is a no brainer.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#7 NFallon

NFallon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:46 PM

I have been lurking on this site for about a year...but have been reading Ceramic Daily for a few years. I decided today was a good day to make a profile and post a comment. I ship using new boxes from Uline. I use the double box method...meaning the piece being shipped is inside a box that is inside another, larger box. What I felt compelled to state was that I use recycled egg cartons that I acquire from a friendly restaurant. They are light weight and easily cut to fit the form and boxes. I've never had anything break since I have used this method. Cheers.(pardon the brevity or grammer errors...posting from my cell phone)...Neil

#8 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 2,915 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:12 AM

Neil... welcome to posting, if not the forums as a whole. :)

Great suggestion.  I am assuming here that you use the egg carton material as the separator material between the inside box and the outside box to "float" it in the center ofthat 3-dimensional space.  Yes /no?

best,

......................john

John Baymore
Immediate Past President; Potters Council
Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

#9 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 1,993 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 13 April 2014 - 04:19 PM

Welcome to the  forum Neil.

#10 NFallon

NFallon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:33 PM

Hi John, Pres,

The egg cartons do act as a float for the inner box. But I also cut the cartons to create packaging around the item in the inner box to float it as well in the carton material. If I have a lid or other lose item, I wrap this in foam or more standard shipping material. Home Depot and others have cheap 6" wide sill insulation material in rolls that I buy to wrap lids and the like.

Thanks for the welcome.......Neil

#11 Seasoned Warrior

Seasoned Warrior

Businessman - Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:38 PM

Much like Pres, I like popped pop corn! Can't get much more natural than that, just don't use Canola to pop it with. Read what Canadian Oil is!

#12 High Bridge Pottery

High Bridge Pottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • LocationNewcastle Upon Tyne. England

Posted 20 April 2014 - 03:06 PM

I am going to have to find my parents old popcorn machine.

Pres, by compress do you just mean stuff as much in as possible then push down and continue till happy?

#13 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 1,993 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 21 April 2014 - 09:38 AM

Yes, I usually peak the box 3-4 inches above and then fold down the sides pushing until box is fitted as normal. Tape across the middle, and down the sides. Popcorn compresses really well. I dry pop the corn-no oil.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users