#1 bciskepottery

bciskepottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:52 PM

This is one of the most fascinating films from Goldmark Gallery in England about their exhibit by Takeshi Yasuda.  Gives new meaning to slab rollers, making large tiles, 12' club (no, not 12"), working with porcelain, and ceramics in China.  Yasuda's insights are wonderful and give you a lot to think about.  Well worth the time. 

#2 Diane Puckett

Diane Puckett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • LocationAsheville, NC

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:40 PM

Fabulous. Thank you for posting this.
Diane Puckett
Dry Ridge Pottery

#3 potter232

potter232

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:27 PM

It is fascinating to see both Takeshi Yasuda's work and the way the huge tiles are rolled out and eventually used like giant canvasses. Everything about the film is fascinating and I would recommend it to anyone with an interest in pottery - or even without. It is a lovely film. Thank you so much!

#4 Evelyne Schoenmann

Evelyne Schoenmann

Ceramic Artist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland and Italy

Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:54 AM

That is a fantastic documentation about Jingdezhen and Takeshi Yasuda! Thanks for sharing.

I wrote down several of his statements to pin on my studio wall. One of them is: "Perfection or imperfection is a point of view".

But the following I love the most: "I can make anything, I don't have to name it. I can just make things and then think of how to use them...."

I enjoyed the video very much. Thanks again bciskepottery!

Evelyne

Evelyne Schoenmann
Studio: schoenmann ceramics
In love with alternative firing methods
www.schoenmann-ceramics.ch

#5 Mark McCombs

Mark McCombs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationSW Washington

Posted 30 November 2013 - 01:59 PM

Wow.  What a wonderful video!  Thank you so much for sharing with us here. It was well worth the time.  There are so many positives to take from it but first, I am going to make a slip gun.    :)

Mark
Fast Hawk Pottery

^5-6 Ox
1227 Skutt

#6 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 2,978 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:32 PM

You can get a nice video of Yasuda-sensei working from NCECA.  He was one of the demo artists one year.  Go to the NCECA website.

best,

...............john

John Baymore
Immediate Past President; Potters Council
Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

#7 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 30 November 2013 - 07:48 PM

Great video. 

I liked everything, from just watching him throw, and hearing his thoughts, to the bits about the wares being transported, and that giant damn slab!

"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#8 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 07:48 PM

Also, that Michael Jackson sculpture above, is really creeping me out...

#9 Karen B

Karen B

Potter 1981-present

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:56 PM

Thank you for posting this. I found that I could understand better without the captions, which were comical in their inaccuracies. Also all the trimming and dust creating activities being done without benefit of dusk masks made me cringe. This is, of course, in addition to totally enjoying this video.

#10 Mart

Mart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:12 AM

bciskepottery, thank you.

Karen B, if not using dust mask made you cringe you need to take a look at this: Amazing Pictures, Pollution in China

Human life cost nothing in China. There is over 1.3 billion of them. Problem is, that all that crap they do over there, pollutes rest of the planet too.
Look at the carbon emissions. China is the biggest polluter of them all. China emits more CO2 than the US and Canada put together - up by 171% since the year 2000. (2011 data from The Guardian)
The US has had declining CO2 for two years running (2011), the last time the US had declining CO2 for 3 years running was in the 1980s.

Looking at the pollution per capita, Americans are second to none, emitting 18 tonnes of CO2 per person.
Overpopulated China, by contrast, emits under six tonnes per person, and famous for it's massive coast line pollution and rivers of crap (see india ship breakingIndia spews out only 1.38 tonnes per person.
To put the numbers in perspective, the whole world emits 4.49 tonnes per person.

Next time you buy something Made in China... visualize the path of a $20 t-shirt (just as an example) and how it started form Asia as a $0.22 shirt - pollution and misery in its wake.

Cheers!

#11 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:46 PM

Mart,

Great, and terrifying information.

One reason that the U.S. and many other countries, can't compete with the production cost in countries like China.  In the U.S., there are so many regulations and costs, that help limit pollution.  It's just far cheaper, to do things in countries like China, and I'm not even taking the labor cost into account.

#12 Heidi

Heidi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCape Town, South Africa

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:22 AM

Simply awesome

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users