#1 jrgpots

jrgpots

The hands can express the soul

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • LocationHurricane, Utah

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:17 PM

My son works at an aquarium where there is 14 ft anaconda. It just shed its skin and my son has all 14 ft of it. It shed as a tube that has collapsed a bit.

How can I make a texture pattern or stamp from this?

Jed

#2 Marcia Selsor

Marcia Selsor

Professor Emerita, Montana State University-Billings

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts
  • Locationwhere Texas, Matamoros, Rio Grande and Gulf of Mexico come together.

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:29 AM

it isn't as deep but I use stretched cheese cloth over a 2x4 and roll clay with it.Maybe if you cast a section of the skin in plaster or alginate, the impression of that on clay would be the positive.

Marcia

#3 Chris Campbell

Chris Campbell

clay stained since 1988

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:19 AM

Pardon me if I at first say ... ICK!

To make a stamp I would use liquid latex. You apply thin coats with a soft brush ... Let it dry between each coating. When you get it as thick as you want you can just wash out the skin. I sometimes make these kinds of stamps thin enough to wrap around a pot and other times thick enough to push into clay. Since you have the whole skin you could make several different ones. Liquid latex will preserve the small details.
In order to make the positive stamp you might be able to coat the latex with some kind of mold release and make another latex stamp on the inside??? But I'm not sure since I have never tried it.

Chris Campbell
Contemporary Fine Colored Porcelain
www.ccpottery.com

TRY ...   FAIL ...  LEARN ...  REPEAT

#4 jrgpots

jrgpots

The hands can express the soul

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • LocationHurricane, Utah

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:34 AM

I

Pardon me if I at first say ... ICK!.

ICK! is right. It is draped over a couple of chairs right now. I thought about inserting a long balloon into the skin, then blowing the balloon up and casting in latex. I thought it would make an interesting pattern on a cylinder mug. There would an infinite ways of glazing. I thought teenage boys would love it.

Jed

#5 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,432 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:27 AM

Use spray adhesive to affix it to something rigid, then use a spray acrylic to seal and protect it. If you don't need to save it, use a rolling pin to embed it into soft clay, then fire it off.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#6 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 805 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:14 PM

yuck!                    is it possible to put a perfectly sized cardboard tube inside a length of the skin and just roll it out?   with some kind of spray on preservative like the stuff used to keep pastel drawings from smudging?  14 feet will allow a number of poorer choices before you get it right.

"putting you down does not raise me up."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users