• 3 weeks later...

Dirt poor

My smart phone phone turned off our refer and would not let us into our house (via smart lock) -the car got hacked and my instagram wafers went stale.

My Gas meter locked up with the wifi signals and photo bucket sprang a leak. Our house heater on a smart control has been running all summer and we cannot shut it off.

I'd post some of this but my router is old school and needs a chuck key and my modem is out with a case of the twitters.

:D  :P  :lol:

you laugh, but the heat in the floor of my hall bathroom is probably on and has been since the small child played with all the buttons on the control box several years ago.  obviously it should have been installed at over 5 feet high.  it blinks some kind of message constantly.  the directions were written by someone whose native language is not english or i would turn it off.

BAH HUMBUG !!!

I like hammers, bricks and Volkswagens! <_<

You see what just happened?!?!?! This things just told me Volkswagens isn't a word!!! :blink:

What has this world come to when technology denies the existence of, not only the most mass produced car in history, it was actually a unit of measure!! :huh:

"About the size of a Volkswagen"

"As heavy as a Volkswagen"

BAH, HUMBUG !!!! (Notice I didn't say HumVolkswagenBug because, apparently they are "incorrect"....) :rolleyes:

There is too much technology in use...but it aint nuthin bricks and hammers can't fix! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

You need to do a handful of things to get followers on Instagram for business purposes, which I will make sound easy here.

1) take pretty pictures. Really pretty pictures. I think you have this part covered.

2) post at least once a day. People look forward to what you put out. Also, with the new algorithm, frequency seems to matter.

3) talk to others, like photos generously, comment and reply to comments and engage on the platform in general. It's straight up time consuming, but if you want engaged followers who are interested in what you do, there's no substitute.

4) keep your content cohesive: if it's a business account, keep it to pots. The odd studio cat pic is ok, but people are there for your work, not your night out with friends. Also, keep the top nine pictures in your feed cohesive-looking. These are the first images a potential follower will see, and they'll make their decision to hit that button on that first impression.

5) if you're really looking to use it as advertising, reach out to other influencers that you think have a similar audience to you. A repost or a contest can go a really long way.

We love Instagram! I work with District Clay and just hired a new Social Media Manager who just focuses on Instagram and Facebook. It's been a great resource. Looking to spice up our content but that means many photo and video sessions which isn't possible every week. I think it's key to stay connected with other potters in the area and repost some of the great work you are seeing (with permission of course). 

Instagram is a new beast but I have found you can really put the word out there easily and cost-efficiently by just a simple video or picture. 

Follow us @districtclay or my personal account @allylongenecker (again I am a newbie at pottery so keep in mind)

Success in what sense? Your engagement is awesome!

Your photography and hashtags suggest you are speaking to the pottery community, and I think you seem to be doing a very good job of that. Your average post has in the neighbourhood of 50% engagement, compared to your audience/followers. That's amazing! It's a damn sight better than mine!

If you want to use it as a platform to reach any sort of community, and have a conversation with them, the only suggestion I have for you is post more frequently. A few times a month isn't enough, if you want to connect with people, wether they're your customers or your peers, or your students. Once a day is ideal, although if you're not used to doing that, working up to that is a good plan. Batch some photos, and release them slowly, and it makes much better use of your time.

• 1 month later...

I've decided to start using Instagram. So far I've already spent way too much time looking at other potter's posts! Must be careful not to do that everyday.

I know I've stated in the past that I don't think social media is very effective at generating sales. But my ultimate goal for Instagram is not for selling pots. My Instagram posts will be different from my Facebook posts. I want to show a close-up, behind-the scenes peek of a full-time pottery studio. The good, the bad, and the boring.

@goodelephantpottery

Success in what sense? Your engagement is awesome!

Your photography and hashtags suggest you are speaking to the pottery community, and I think you seem to be doing a very good job of that. Your average post has in the neighbourhood of 50% engagement, compared to your audience/followers. That's amazing! It's a damn sight better than mine!

If you want to use it as a platform to reach any sort of community, and have a conversation with them, the only suggestion I have for you is post more frequently. A few times a month isn't enough, if you want to connect with people, wether they're your customers or your peers, or your students. Once a day is ideal, although if you're not used to doing that, working up to that is a good plan. Batch some photos, and release them slowly, and it makes much better use of your time.

Success in the sense of viewer engagement. I was thinking about all ceramic accounts in general. Not just mine. 

Thanks for all of the tips. I will defiantly put together a group of photos to release slowly. Great idea! 

Thanks! 

Jared

I have had an account but have t posted much at all. What are others doing?

marcia

Although I'd like to sell a pot on insta, mostly I go there for inspiration. Like an interactive pinterest! I enjoy talking with others and explaining the process. My pottery account is new, so I don't have many followers, but those who I do follow are wonderful! I only follow account that post solely pottery though, I kinda don't want to see people's kids/mall photos/bathroom selfies. ;)

I have had an account but have t posted much at all. What are others doing?

marcia

While I do market on Instagram, it's more with an effort to get people to come to shows and sales, not getting internet sales. The local news had a segment the other day about how Canadians aren't heavy duty internet shoppers, and my own anecdotal experience supports this observation. We like to do the research online, and make purchases in person. I've had several people in the last few weeks say that they saw me on Instagram, and came to purchase a specific item while I was at a sale because of that. But really, that's a small part of what I get out of Instagram. I've found some amazing artists, and seen short video demos from big names that I'd otherwise have no access to seeing work in person. It helps me stay current on what's happening in the ceramics community. (And you get to occasionally see Neil pick a pretty mean banjo!)

More importantly to me though, Instagram is a favourite marketing tool locally, and Calgary has a very vibrant and active Maker community that favours this platform for communication to both vendors and customers. When doing a show here, the organizers tend to be quite social media savvy, and it's common practice to go through the vendor list on the show's website, and follow your fellow vendors on social media (or at least the ones you like the work of). Once at the show, in-person introductions are then made, and occasionally business or art collaborations, and friendships ensue. So, I guess I use it mostly to build community of one kind or another.

Archived