How Do You "open Up"

Pres

Clay Lover : Yes- Shellac is basically gel nail color. Some like gel nails (tips added) but I just like the shellac on my natural nail.  ( for the men, a clear coat might be beneficial) It's a thick protective layer, the clay doesn't sit on the nail and dry it out.  My issue now is just remembering to use lotion on my hands/cuticles too. I used to keep this honey lotion in my purse called "mor" (it was pricy, but it smelled amazing and had a rich hydration)  I need another tube.  Shellac lasts about 2-3 weeks. I pay $25 at my local nail salon.  

Can you throw with the gell set on and not have the clay grind the gel off? Nail polish, no matter what kind, just disappears.

I found pure African Shea butter at the market in Charleston, SC. It's the best thing ever for potter's hands and nails. pricy, but a bit goes a LONG way and lasts while throwing. If you're interested, PM me, they don't have a web site, but the box has a phone # on it. The company is 'Heaven Scent', odd, since it is not scented at all, no added ingredients.

I only teach thumb opening to kids with very small hands, because they seem to be more stable. Normally I don't teach it because it is a technique that is limited to smaller pots. Once you work bigger your thumbs just aren't long enough to reach to the bottom. So I teach opening with fingers. I have my students stick out their preferred index finger (usually right hand), then lay their other index finger and thumb on top. Then they rest their elbows on their legs or on the edge of the splash pan. So the hands are locked together and the arms are locked to something, too. It's a very solid position. I also recommend they open a steep 'V' shaped hole. It' keeps them on center better than going down perfectly vertically, and it allows them to see their finger tip as they go down, making it easier to judge the depth.

Guest JBaymore

I also recommend they open a steep 'V' shaped hole. It' keeps them on center better than going down perfectly vertically, and it allows them to see their finger tip as they go down, making it easier to judge the depth.

Key!

best,

..................john

Guest JBaymore

One of the reasons an elbow works well on larger pieces of clay. It naturally opens in a deep V, and compresses the bottom at the rounded boney part.

Never used my elbow... have to try it sometime.  Thanks.

On biggger stuff (25-50 lbs.) I use the "punch opening" technique.  beats the heck out of trying to center that much clayy the US "traditional" way.

No water is involved at all until you already have a large hollow form open. 

best,

................john

I use the fist/punch method on larger pieces also-had to teach myself how. When using the elbow of rt arm, I hold the rt wrist with the lft hand to help with stabalize, lots of water as the elbow soaks it up. Like with the punch method don't worry about the outside getting off center it all works out in the end. I can not take credit for innovating on this as I saw an old video by someone using  this elbow technique. I have even seen someone open up with a knee, but always thought that was extreme-like throwing with your feet. -_-

I'm surprised no one here has talked about tools.

Best tools you have.... your hands. And you don't have to pick them up.

best,

.............john

I'm hand guy. But but was referring to the strong arm. A wooden attachment to wheel that helps center and open.

• 4 weeks later...

This sounded like it was going to be a therapy session.

I use my left three center fingers to open up.The center finger is bent a little to be at the same depth as the other two.

I go down, across the diameter and curl under the inner wall in order to have something to pull up.

Marcia

Still working on changing a few things in my life, just how many fingers do you have on your left hand, Marcia? With your method, which I am learning to use for bigger pots, I seem to be missing  a finger, does this come with practise, or just a raku oddity?

Celia!  Are you really brutish to those poor souls?

And, Wyndham, can you explain what this means?  "On larger forms I ball a fist cover with left hand ..."

I'm working on core body strength, so I challenge myself to step into my "undercrackers" and jeans while standing on one foot at a time. Slightly dangerous, at the point where one leg is trapped, so if I'm found unconscious on the bathroom floor that will probably be why!

Archived