Porcelain Q's

By low fire porcelain, do you mean cone 6 (mid-range porcelain), or truly low fire, like cone 04, in which case that would be a white earthenware?

The main thing to watch with porcelain is that is absorbs water much more quickly. So don't work too slowly. It also has a narrower range of stiffness during which you can trim. It dries faster, so pay attention. And it is more likely to warp or crack during drying, so evenly thick, well made pots are a must. Once you get used to it you'll never go back to stoneware!

I always drop my porcelain on concrete on all 6 sides. It softens it up..especially if it has been sitting for a while.I agree with Neil and Diane, even here in humid texas, I cover pieces with 5 gallon buckets , smaller buckets or small ware board with large rubber storage containers. I don't lay plastic on the wet surface because it can mare the surface.

Marcia

. And when Neil says it dries fast, he is not exaggerating. Don't leave it uncovered to come back and trim the next day. Hope you love it.

That's very useful, I'll keep an eye on that.

I've just this morning received some free samples of different clays with a pack of *Cool Ice* porcelain amongst them.

I've had a little feel already and the Cool Ice appears to be stiffer than the others.

In my garage studio at this time of year I can throw a pot and leave it completely uncovered for a week and sometimes it's still too damp to trim.

Archived