Sign in to follow this  
Chantay

Looking For Clear Moraccan Sand Glaze

Chantay    101

I like using the Moraccan Sand Glazes which I buy in the dry powder form.  I had been using a clear glaze from a local supplier but it is now longer available.  Can anyone reccommend one of the clear Moraccan Sand glazes to use over underglazes and with stains.  They have several and I don't have time to test them all.  No local supplier, I have to order everthing. Uuugh!

Second question, I recently mixed up a glaze.  One of the Moraccan sand glazes, clear matte #67, when I put it through a sieve, 80 mesh, there was a large amount of stuff that would not pass through. Looked gritty. What should I do?  Throw it out? Put it back in the bucket?  I'm doing test tiles today.  I will test without and with gritty stuff.

PSC    54

Call axners in florida, they are owned by laguna and see what they suggest. They do sell the glazes by the pound. They've always been helpful when i ask anything.

Chantay    101

Niel, PSC,

thanks for the help.  I did go to Laguna's website and see that they have other clear glaze options.  I will call axner though and see if I can get some help.  That is who I normally order my stuff through.  Three major univiersities with art programs in the area I live and the closest supplier is 4hrs one way.

azjoe    3

I have yet to find a one-size fits all clear for cone 5-6 ox.  I've had reasonable success with MS-29 clear bright (one of the Morracan Sand series).  It's high gloss and works best applied very thin.  That said, I have seen some crazing on WS4 clay and some yellowing on Dark Brown (Laguna clays)... so buy a pint of the pre-mix and make some test tiles to assure good fit and color for your particular needs.