#1 Chantay

Chantay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:29 AM

I like using the Moraccan Sand Glazes which I buy in the dry powder form.  I had been using a clear glaze from a local supplier but it is now longer available.  Can anyone reccommend one of the clear Moraccan Sand glazes to use over underglazes and with stains.  They have several and I don't have time to test them all.  No local supplier, I have to order everthing. Uuugh!

Second question, I recently mixed up a glaze.  One of the Moraccan sand glazes, clear matte #67, when I put it through a sieve, 80 mesh, there was a large amount of stuff that would not pass through. Looked gritty. What should I do?  Throw it out? Put it back in the bucket?  I'm doing test tiles today.  I will test without and with gritty stuff.

- chantay

#2 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,842 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:37 AM

Toss the gritty stuff. Some glazes have more than others.

Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Kilns Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#3 PSC

PSC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:58 PM

Call axners in florida, they are owned by laguna and see what they suggest. They do sell the glazes by the pound. They've always been helpful when i ask anything.

#4 Chantay

Chantay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 22 November 2013 - 09:11 PM

Niel, PSC,

thanks for the help.  I did go to Laguna's website and see that they have other clear glaze options.  I will call axner though and see if I can get some help.  That is who I normally order my stuff through.  Three major univiersities with art programs in the area I live and the closest supplier is 4hrs one way.

- chantay

#5 azjoe

azjoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:38 AM

I have yet to find a one-size fits all clear for cone 5-6 ox.  I've had reasonable success with MS-29 clear bright (one of the Morracan Sand series).  It's high gloss and works best applied very thin.  That said, I have seen some crazing on WS4 clay and some yellowing on Dark Brown (Laguna clays)... so buy a pint of the pre-mix and make some test tiles to assure good fit and color for your particular needs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users